Truth uncovered

Loud. Deafening. Headache inducing.

Classic party songs had been blasting from the speakers all evening. Much to Alex and Georgie's disappointment, the guests were not showing any sign of leaving soon - the constant drilling in  Georgie's head was starting to get too much for her to handle.

After dancing with her sisters, she walked up to Alex. He was leaning against the bar ordering more drinks when she approached.

"I'm just going to get some fresh air! It's a bit loud in here!" She bellowed. However, amongst the music and slurred singing he didn't hear her. "What, love?"

Stepping outside and gently closing the door behind her, Georgie felt a gentle breeze against her cheeks. It was the early hours of the morning; the streets were eerily quiet with not a single car passing by, the sky was pitch black except for a full moon painted in the centre and no one else was around with the only noise being the wind as it whipped against the trees.

Ahead, proudly stood the cathedral that Georgie had got married in a few hours earlier. The moon reflected off the delicately painted stain glass windows and shone down into the cemetery, lighting a path just a few metres away where Elvis was buried.

Sneaking back into the hall, Georgie grasped her wedding bouquet from the table. She decided not to follow tradition and throw her posy in the air for another lucky guest to catch. Instead, she would rather lay the flowers on Elvis' grave so he was still a part of her big day.

***

The morning was only young. The graveyard was peacefully silent with the odd howling of the wind as it swept through the gravestones all lined up in their rows. Darkness filled the cemetery except for a dim glow from Georgie's phone torch. Despite the strange stillness and unnerving  nothingness, to Georgie, it seemed tranquil and comforting.

Alone, she scanned the headstones in the cemetery as she paced between them. She noticed that some graves had freshly pruned flowers planted around them and others appeared abandoned and forgotten about, with weeds growing between the cracks and wilting flowers limp and trodden on.

"In loving memory of Elvis Harte." She read aloud, pausing in front of his headstone. Uncontrollably, a tear trickled down her cheek and splashed onto his gravestone below. Eventually, she slowly knelt down beside it and traced the inscription of the stone with her finger, muttering every word out loud.

"Here lies a loving and courageous soldier. A father, brother, son, fiancé and friend. Who was cruelly killed in service of his country."

Instantly, her PTSD came back to haunt her as the monster forced her to relive the horrific memories that had never left her mind - despite the therapy. With tears streaming down her face, she spoke to Elvis' grave as though he were there, standing beside her.

She began to speak to him whilst tearing away at the weeds surrounding his grave. Originally, she seemed in a state of desolation and despair. However, the more she thought about what she found out, after all of the lies and false beliefs, the anger quickly built up inside her.

"I'm sorry it had to be like this, Elvis. No soldier should be sacrificed like you were. I was never meant to find out the truth! Why did they have to sacrifice you!"

***

Afghanistan 2015

*2 days before Elvis' death*