Chapter 30

Belle - "It's 5:30 am. We have been messaging each other the entire night!"

Brandon - "I did not realize that. Sorry should have let you sleep."

Belle - "well I'm going to go now,"

Brandon - " See you in school :)"

Just as I drifted off to sleep, I heard my alarm go off. 'Great, I have school and very little sleep, well, this should be good for my health,' I thought sarcastically.

Making my way to school, the first thing I remembered was how I had to answer Brandon's question today. The answer alone would change my life but what about the results? What would happen to Nate? Would he hate me? What about if things between Brandon and I don't work, then what? Become friends? Would we be able to do even that? Those were the things I wondered about. I arrived in the nick of time, just as the bell rung and together Nate and I made our way to first period.

We had most of our classes together and since today was Monday, first period was chemistry. To me, chemistry was a bore except for the experiments, those I love but balancing chemical equations and states of matter, not so much. That was Nate's favourite and he was always so excited for it but, today something about him had changed.

While our teacher was going on and on about mixtures and all the various types, homogeneous and heterogeneous and all their properties and things like that, I could see how distracted Nate was so I tried to cheer him up.

Ripping a page out of my book, I wrote a little note then slid it to him. He looked at it and smiled and wrote something back. I peaked at it by to my  dismay, he did not tell me what was wrong even after me being so very persistent. Eventually, he wrote 'Tell you at lunch' and before I could reply the teacher called me.

"Can you repeat please Mrs ?" I asked.

"I said, what are the different types of heterogeneous mixtures." My teacher questioned giving me a sly smile.

"Umm... Suspensions and colloids?"

"Hmmm... And what would be an example of a colloid?" She continued.

"Paint?"

"Very good but next time please do not look so distracted." I gave a nervous smile then sat down again.

Nate placed his hand under the table wanting me to give him a five and so I did. It was something we both did since we were smaller, everytime we were talking and the teacher called either one of us to answer a question, when we got it correct we would always give each other a low five.

When it was second period I could feel my eyelids heavy and me falling asleep on myself. Frequently, Nate had to gently nudge my arm for me to wake up and by lunch I was like a zombie. I was tired and I just wanted to go home.

"Belle, what I wanted to tell you was I umm..." Nate trailed off. He looked distressed and I knew something was definitely wrong.

"Hey you ok?" I asked sitting at the nearest empty table.

"Yea, I just needed to tell you something,"

"Ok, well I'm all ears then," I smiled and propped my chin into the palm of my hands with my elbow on the table waiting for him to continue.

He laughed but sure enough he went on," Well, Belle we have been friends for a long time and... Well..."

At that same time I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and pulling it out I saw a text from Brandon.

Brandon - "Soo..."

Belle - "Soo?"

Brandon - "Well...?"

Belle- "Maybe"

"Belle, I wanted to know... what do you think of friends becoming boyfriend and girlfriend?" Nate said staring at me.

Why would he want to know this? Could he...? I looked at him and wondered if what he was saying was what I thought. It could not be possible.

"I think it's normal I guess. I mean I know it has happened to people before,"

At the sound of that his eyes sparkled and he seemed to be on cloud nine.

"Belle, would you like to be my girlfriend then?"

I stared at him in disbelief. I mean, how could the person you always wanted to hear say that sentence say it, but when they do, you don't feel anything.

"Me?" I asked uncertain.

"Yes, you." He chuckled.

"Nate you're my best friend. I don't think I can lose you. It would be like having a part of me destroyed. So I'm sorry but no. You mean far too much to me."

He looked heartbroken and the guilt was slowly and painfully eating me away on the inside.

"But why?"

"Nate... We grew up together. You're like my brother and we have to much history to let that all go."

"That's why you chose him isn't it? I see the way you look at him. I'm not blind you know," he said avoiding eye contact.

"Nate look, I'm sorry. I really and truly am but, it's not just because of him I said no ok."

"So what are the other reasons?" He argued.

"Mary."

"Mary?"

"Look, you are not the only one who can see the obvious right? Mary likes you. You could see the way she looks at you and everything. Even a blind guy can tell that you like her too."

"How did you know? I never told you,"

"Like I said we are best friends, we don't have to tell the other everything but we still see it,"

"It's true, I do like her a little but, you and Brandon? Something about him makes me sorry about you." He said sincerely.

"Don't worry I will be fine. If there are any problems you will be the second one I go to, deal?"

"Why not the first?"

"Jasmine would kill me if she finds out she didn't get to know first so that's why," I said laughing.

"Deal but you can't tell Mary I like her alright?" He extended his hand.

"I promise." I shook his hand as our little promise was made.

Hey guys what up? Ok I know many of you are angry that I didn't update in a while and I'm very sorry. I had labs and homework and out stuff for school which I need to do and I'm soooooo tired but I try my best.

So I didn't write in a while because of all the stuff I had to do but I had to write an essay and as weird as it was I actually could not wait to write it since I missed writing a lot.

Well as always hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and thanks so much for reading. Love you guys :) ^•^ =) :*

Xoxo
Shy