The Next Puzzle

You were sat on the floor, surrounded by articles, photos, and evidence of the Carl Powers case. You had worked through every last piece of information you had been able to find, but nothing had caught your eye.

There were only three hours left and you were doubting you'd solve it in time. Your chances were looking slim.

Sherlock was sat at the kitchen table, the trainers placed next to the microscope he had been occupying since you arrived home.

You got up from the floor and sauntered to the kitchen. In need of a small break, you turned on the kettle to prepare tea for yourself and for Sherlock.

You poured the boiling water into two cups and placed one of them next to Sherlock.

He looked up. ''Poison,'' he exclaimed.

You frowned. ''I know you don't like green tea that much, but it's all we have left.''

''No, Carl Powers!'' He slammed his hands onto the table, knocking over the tea.

''I knew it. I knew it wasn't an accident! He was murdered! How? How was he killed? Did you solve it?''

Sherlock turned in his chair, a wide grin on his face. ''Clostridium botulinum. One of the deadliest poisons known to man.''

''How- How do you know? Tell me.''

He stood up, walking over to where he had strung up the shoelaces. ''There were flakes in his shoes, remember? The boy suffered from eczema. It would be the easiest thing in the world to introduce the poison to his medication. A few hours later, the poison takes effect, and he drowns.''

''It'd be undetectable. No one would be looking for it. That's why it didn't show up in the autopsy, they wrote it off as an accident. That's brilliant!''

''I found traces of the poison on the shoelaces and inside the trainers. That's why the murderer took the shoes with him, they were the only piece of evidence to prove this was a murder.''

''We have to let him know we solved it. Before it's too late.''

Sherlock grabbed his laptop, opening a tab to the forums on his website. ''I'm certain this will do the trick.'' He began to type.

'FOUND: Pair of trainers belonging to Carl Powers (1978-1989). Botulinum toxin still present. Apply 221b Baker St.'

The pink phone rang the second Sherlock uploaded the message.

You grabbed it from the table and answered.

''Well done, you two. Come and get me,'' the woman whimpered.

''Where are you? Tell us where you are and we'll come get you.''

Sherlock picked up his phone and texted Lestrade the address, immediately receiving a confirmation.

You sighed in relief, a broad smile forming on your lips. ''You fucking solved it,'' you breathed. ''I was so worried we wouldn't figure it out on time, but you solved it.'' You launched yourself at him, engulfing him in a tight embrace.

His hands went to your hips, gripping them tightly as he held you close. ''I knew we'd solve it. It was just a matter of time.''

''You solved it, Sherlock. I was hardly useful in this case. I would have never been able to figure it out on my own. Not like you did.''

You felt his grip on you loosen, one hand resting on your back as the other went to your face, raising your chin.

''What you said this morning before we interrogated Moran...'' he hesitated, not knowing what to say.