Chapter five: Invisible walls

Mathew sat looking over at the boy who's gaze was focused longingly on Anne's door. A small knowing smile spread across his face.

"Hello Gilbert," said Mathew less shy than usual.

"Oh hello, Mr. Cuthbert, sorry I didn't see you there," said the boy tearing in eyes away from Anne's door.

"I figured," said Mathew chuckling to himself.
Gilbert gave Mathew an odd look seeing as he was laughing, he seemed like he knew something.

"Anyways, I've been meaning to have a talk with you," he hesitated, deciding if he should get straight to the point or not, "about Anne."

Gilbert's ears suddenly perked up and he straightened his posture, he could already feel his palms getting sweaty. Why I'm I so uptight all the sudden? He asked himself. Mr. Cuthbert creates his throat slightly and Gilbert braced himself for what the man would say.

"I'm not sure how you feel for her," which was technically a fib, a stranger could see just how Gilbert felt for Anne, if they sat through the breakfast Mr. Cuthbert has just experienced.

"You see I am not getting any younger," he laughed, "and my heart seems to be rather unreliable, these days," he continued in a worried tone.

"It's starting to feel as if I won't be around for much longer," Gilbert's eyes had turned sympathetic.

"I just wanted to, um, I guess get to know you a bit better," said Mathew somewhat hesitantly, he was trying desperately not to be intimidating, but he felt as if he was failing, considering the amount of times Gilbert had wiped his hands on his trousers.

"How do you feel about helping me on the farm this Sunday and Saturday, my hand Jerry and I could use the extra help, considering it's harvest."

"Oh- y-yes, Mr. Cuthbert of course," Gilbert managed to stammer.

"Okay, sounds good so I'll see you Saturday morning, you can have breakfast with us of course," smiled Mr. Cuthbert.

"Well its a plan then," Gilbert noticed Mr. Cuthbert standing up so he mirrored the older man, then shook his outstretched hand, politely.

"Your a good young man, Gilbert," Mr. Cuthbert complimented.

"Thank you," smiled Gilbert.

"Well, I best be off to the barn now," said Mathew, acknowledging Anne who was now standing by the coat rack, "you two have a good day at school." He began turning away on his heals.

"Wait," Anne ran up to him, rose herself into her tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

Gilbert watched smiling but then, in light of the new information he had learned about Mathew health, this image in front of him was saddening. He vowed to himself that when Mathew died he would do anything and everything to be there for Anne.

His heart was still beating wildly, particularly due to Anne's Striking image in the dress she was now wearing. The other part though was his previous conversation with Mr. Cuthbert, he said he wanted to talk to him about Anne which he didn't say anything blatantly about her. Instead he invited him to help with harvest, he had a feeling that was going to be more than simply picking apples.

Mathew smiled to himself as he opened the barn door. He had realized that he would need more time with Gilbert, in order to properly have the conversation he intended to. In light of this realization he figured if he was going to tell Gilbert or, give Gilbert what he was going to he should get to know the lad more. He slightly chuckled to himself thinking that Anne must see something in him considering she was willing to break her slate, just for him. He supposed that's one way to think about it.