Chapter eight: Intimate

"Please let that be a branch," wished Gilbert.
The blood drained from Anne's face and she scrunched her face, a dead give away that the sound was indeed not from a tree branch.
Tears began to fill her eyes but she blinked them away, she let out a shaky breath then pushed her face into Gilbert chest.
"Ahhhhhhh," she groaned, very loudly.
"Oh my god Anne are you alright," Gilbert's face was almost as pale as Anne's for his blood had drained when he saw the pain shown on The girls face.
"Ahhhhhh," she yelled once again, letting out her pain angrily instead of crying.
"Anne what's wrong where does it hurt."
Anne only pushed her head harder against Gilbert and pointed to her leg aggressively.
"Your ankle?" Asked Gilbert.
"Ahhhhhh," she yelled this time more like a scream, muffled by Gilbert's sweater.
Gilbert took that as a yes and asked, "May I take a look."
Anne simply nodded remembering how he was studying to become a doctor.
As he moved one of his hands down to her ankle, just barely grazing her boot Anne winced and let out another groan. She grabbed his unoccupied hand and grasped it, excruciatingly hard, slightly digging her nails into his skin.
Gilbert couldn't lie his hand hurt very hard but he knew Anne was it much worse pain so he didn't complain.
Gilbert could tell looking at Anne's ankle even with her boots and stockings on that it was most likely broken. He decided this was not the right place to do a proper examination and he knew that once her shoe was off that it wouldn't probably be ten times more painful. He tried to move only to be stopped by Anne who was sitting in his lap. Not that he hadn't realized she was, as soon as she feel into his arms and he stumbled back falling onto the ground he was very aware of their closeness. Anne grabbed his other hand as the squeezed her eyes tightly shut.
"Anne I'm going to have to look at your ankle inside," said Gilbert hesitantly, he didn't what her to move but he knew that in order for Anne to fell well as fast as possible he had to get off her shoe.
Anne bit her lip as she nodded and tried to move off Gilbert. Gilbert stood up once Anne was off him then looped one arm under her legs and reached his other one around her back, lifting her up in a bridal position. Anne winced and winced and groaned as she was pulled up. Then as soon as she was finally in Gilbert's arms she buried her face in his chest. Even in as much pain as she was butterflies reached her stomach as she inhaled his scent. She secretly wished she got hurt more often, being carried by Gilbert Blythe wasn't the worst thing in the world, she shrugged that thought off as soon as it reached her head.
"How are you doing Anne," said Gilbert looking down, his voice was tender and raspier than usual, his tone making Anne's heart swell.
"I've been better," Anne managed her muster out through gritted teeth.
Gilbert walked faster his heart breaking to see Anne in pain, out of all the people who could fall out of a tree Anne was the person who least deserved it, at least in his mind. He would have broken both his legs and arms if it meant Anne didn't have to deal with this hurt.
"You'll be okay," Gilbert said, mostly to himself, because he was a ton more worried than Anne.
Anne nuzzled her face on his sweater ever so slightly, she could tell Gilbert was worried a fact that made her heart beat very fast. Finally the two reached green gables Gilbert entering the house quickly gently laying Anne in the couch, making sure so elevate her ankle on the arm of the sofa.
"Oh my heavens, Anne what has happened,"said Marilla frantically.
Anne only shook her head blinking profusely, trying to will her tears not to fall.
"She will be okay, I've been studying to become a doctor if you don't know and I conveniently just finished a unit on fractured bones, so I'm fairly certain I know what to do," said Gilbert looking at Marilla.
"What can I do to help," said Mathew coming from down the stairs.
"I'll need to examiners ankle and then depending on what condition it is in I may need you to run into town to fetch a splint, as of right now she needs some painkillers."
"We have some up in the medicine cabinet up stairs, one moment," Marilla said as she hurried to fetch the medicine.
Gilbert looked down at Anne who was looking at him with teary eyes, her lip quivered. Gilbert walked over to her and kneeled down by the couch. He was aware that Mathew was standing not far away watching him very closely, but he figured Mathew wouldn't mind what he did next. Gilbert looked deep into Anne's eyes and bent down and hugged her. He wrapped his arms under her back and placed his head on her shoulder. At first Anne didn't hug him back too shocked to do anything, but then she melted into him and told herself, "friends give each other hugs, this is perfectly normal." She wrapped her arms around his back. As Gilbert pulled away Anne let out a quivery breath, she wiped her tears off her face and watched as Gilbert stood up then made his way over to her swollen ankle. He looked at her boot then down at her and asked,
"I beg your pardon."
Anne smiled ever so slightly at his formality and shook her head letting him remove her stockings. It seemed very, intimate, Gilbert being able to see her bare skin a part of her body that no one ever really saw except the people she lived with. His hands on her bare skin made her whole body shiver and she felt warm all over. She blushed profusely, as she watched him carefully remove her socks. Her ankle no longer hurt, it was odd it felt as if her whole leg was numb and she began to feel lightheaded once she saw what her ankle looked like. Gilbert looked down at her and gasped when he registered what was happening. He told Mathew to fetch a wet cloth and a glass of cold water. Anne's eyes began fluttering closed, all she could hear was the distant commands of Gilbert, and his footsteps coming nearer to her. Everything was excruciatingly bright, and she felt herself get more and more lightheaded, until...