Attitude

It's been an entire week, since I've seen my class. I'm sure they have a lot of questions, especially because their test and class work, was given over the computer. I had to make an hour long video, going through chapter 9. It was awkward, so it took me three hours, to get it right. I close the door, once 10 hits. I don't want to waste any time.

"Welcome back, professor," Mariah says. "Thank you, Mariah." I smile. "First I'd like to thank you all for bearing with me, this past week. As I'm sure some of you know, it's been a lot going on." Word got out to the Shaderoom and the comments went crazy. "A former classmate made some fake allegations, which caused me to have a hearing, with the president and the board. I had to stay away, until the hearing, this past Monday afternoon. That's why I had to administer the test online and make that awkward video lesson. "I mean I wasn't gone say nun." A boy I think whose name is Clarence says. The class laughs. I'm glad to see them in good spirits, honestly. I don't like certain last minute shit. "Yea I apologize for that but I think I got the message across." I laugh. "Today, we'll talk about your grades and get into chapter 10. Sound good?"

I released the test grades and gave them a few minutes, to look over them. They did better on the test. There were still only a few people to get an A but only 2 people failed. Of course Taj failed. He did worse than before. Stupid ass. "So overall, you did better. We still have ways to go but it's an improvement. I'm impressed." I announce, before getting into the lesson. About 20 minutes in, I give them a group problem, to solve. They're split into two groups of 5 and two groups of 6. "You have 5 minutes. First group, to get the right answer gets 3 extra points, on their next quiz. And...GO!" I sit at my desk and watch them scramble, with their calculators.

My phone vibrates the desk and I see Jazz's name. I seriously need to block her. So you of here fucking students but not me? Talked all that shit about a new life. She is so aggravating. Get your shit straight. You already know not to believe everything you see. If that's what we doing, I done seen you throwing back and down on a lame nigga. That's how you get down now? I text back. I saw her lil ass, on that nigga page. Shit doesn't bother me none but she not bout to come for me. I look back up at my students, before checking her next message. Wowww. You sound a lil jealous to me. I knew you missed this but damn. She done lost her mind. You wish I did. LMAOO. I text her back and quickly blocked her. I have enough on my plate.

As expected, Serenity's group finishes first and has the correct answer. I look over their process and smile. "Alright. Y'all earned it." I took their names down, as a reminder to give them points. It's only three but for Mariah, that's needed. She barely passed the first quiz. I finish the lesson, just in time for class to end. The students file out but Serenity stays behind. "You know he came into my apartment and ruined everything he ever got me?" She says. "Thankfully, it wasn't much or anything I can't get myself." "Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you tell the police?" I ask. "I thought about it but I'd rather not stress over anything else, dealing with him. I just made sure my apartments changed my locks and I installed cameras, inside. Now, if he breaks in, I want his ass in jail." She laughs. Her smile is so beautiful, it sends chills down my spine. "Well, I'm just glad you're okay." "Yea, me too. Thank you for being so nice about this. Your job was on the line and for the most part, you kept it cool." I think about cussing at her, on Wednesday. "I'm sorry about what I..." "No, I understand. I promise it's okay." She interrupts. "You know I actually went and listened to some of your music?" She asks, changing the subject. "And?" I ask nervously. She gives me "it's okay" shrug with a devious smile. She's so sexy.

***

Two months go by and it's so peaceful. My students are doing better, Jazz hasn't contacted me, from another number and life is just good. Jarrod is having a Halloween party, tonight, so I'm definitely going. I can use a break. I'm going as Dracula, as basic as that sounds. I don't want to do too much. I got me a white button up shirt, black slacks and shoes, and a black cape with red velvet material, on the inside. I drip fake blood, down my face and shirt. I got these custom made grills, to look like fangs. I still look good. I invited Layla, since we haven't gone out for a drink yet. I told her she can invite a friend, too. She surprisingly said yes. I assumed her husband would be doing something, with her, but he's out of town, for work.

I get a driver to pick her and her friend up, from her house. She chose to be a bunny. I guess she's basic too. We pull up and it's packed as hell. Everybody and they mama in here. I just know it's gone be a lit night. I make sure security let's them in, before scoping the place. Layla and her friend wander around, while I dap up my boys. "My nigga!" 50 Cent daps me up. It's always a good time, when he's around. He's a clown. "My boy, what up?" "Oh you know how I do." He shows everybody his batman costume. The shit's pretty fire.

I take in the atmosphere and I see someone I never expected to see here. "Serenity?" I ask myself, quietly. How did she get invited to this? Who does she know? She's with one of her friends, from the club. I watche as they walk up to Kevin Hart. I have to go check my boy but I'm also trying to see what she's doing here. I ease my over and dap up my boy. "What you got going on, Kev?" I ask. "This my lil cousin, right here and her friend. "Mr. Neverson." Serenity smiles. "Ms. Meyers." "Y'all know each other?" Kevin asks. "She's one of my students." "Ah hell, this the one?" Kevin asks wide eyed. We all laugh. "Chill out, man." "Tisha, don't you and your friend start nothing. I'm not cool enough to convince them to let y'all stay, if some shit go down." This man is a pure clown. Oddly enough, he's dressed as a clown.

I let them be, so no one else realizes who she is, too. I find Jerrod and pretty much stay near him. I get a few drinks in and start enjoying my night. I periodically check on Layla and she's having a good time. She was already fine but these drinks got a nigga thinking. She's married and all but she's obviously ready to risk it all. She looks over at me and blushes. I shake my head and look over at her, while sipping my drink. "Y'all fucking tonight." Jerrod leans over and says. "Relax, man." I laugh it off. Truth is, I'm kinda hoping so. I'd rather Serenity, though. Damn it Trey. Let it go.

I put down my drink and head for the bathroom. I gotta get my mind right. Before I can get to the bathroom, I'm being pulled around the corner. I realize that it's Layla and I smile. She backs me up against the wall and our lips crash into each other's. No one is around, thankfully. I grab her waist and pull her in closer. Our kisses grow intense and I just know we about to slide into the bathroom. "Woah." I hear someone say and break the kiss. "Serenity" is all I can say. I feel like I got caught cheating. "I am so sorry. I just wanted to go to the bathroom." She says awkwardly, trying to pass us. "Didn't mean...to...interrupt." She brushes by us and runs into the bathroom.

"You sure y'all didn't mess around?" Layla asks. "What? No. I told you that. You were there, at the hearing too when Taj admitted he made it up." I yell, over the music. "Yea but y'all both look like me and you kissing is a problem. You saw how awkward she was, just now." "Man, like I said, there's nothing going  on between me and Serenity." "Is that so?" I hear Jazz's voice. I'm so over tonight now. I'm too drunk for this shit. "So you got lil teacher's pet and a fucking counselor, who's married? BUT YOU DROP ME?" Jazz yells, while stepping closer. "Bruh, Jazz who the fuck keep inviting you out to shit?" At this point, I'm angry. "I'm not fucking nobody, I have nobody, I'm just fucking chilling." I say and begin to walk off. Serenity comes out of the bathroom. "This is the last time I'm addressing this." She starts. "There's nothing going on between me and Mr. Neverson. Let's get that engraved in your skulls so Mrs. Charm, you don't have to worry about me. And neither do you, whoever you are." She walks off, with an attitude. Seems to me, Layla was right. We both got a problem with me and Layla. All it does it make me want Serenity even more.