Games We Play

I decided to come to work, a lil early today. It's not like I'm getting much sleep. I'd rather use this time, to finalize my final and my last few assignments. They're probably going to think it's harsh, to get homework over Thanksgiving break but it is what it is. They get 5 days. One lil assignment won't kill them. My phone rings, reminding me to turn the ringer off. It's Ru. "Bro look at the Shaderoom" He says. My heart sinks. I already know it's some shit.

I open Instagram and low and behold, it's some bullshit. Trey's New Bae May Be One of His Students was in bold letters, with a collage of pictures. These have to be from Taj. These are the same ones from that email. "Nigga y'all went to Juicy Crab together?!" Ru yells. Taj must be having her followed. "I swear to God, I did not plan on seeing her. What the fuck is wrong with this nigga man?! Why he being such a bitch?!" I yell. "Man, this looks bad. Your school sees this and its over for you." I feel my anger building up. If I lose my job, I'm going to jail because I'm beating Taj ass! "Bruh I'ma hit you back." I say and hang up. Niggas wanna play, bet.

I get a burner phone that I bought for emergencies, like this. I paid a homeless man cash and in return , I gave him a hotel for two weeks, food included. Paid cash of course. I dial my boy Tyrone's number. He's so low key, Tyrone not even his real name. He doesn't know I know that it's Rashad but that's because I have another side to me. Trigga wasn't just for the music. That's who comes out, when niggas wanna try me. "Yo." Tyrone answers. "It's Trigga." I say. He laughs, in shock. "My nigga! It's been a long ass time." "Man, I was trying to leave you in the past. No offense." I start. "Haha, believe me. None taken. I know you was tryna get yaself straight. This must be bout that ol boy." He says, shocking me. But then again, this nigga knows everything just so he can stay on top of the game. "Hell yea. Lil fuck nigga bout to make me lose my job. It's time ol Trigga pay him a visit. But first, I wanna catch him owning up to this shit. I need somebody to follow him. I can't do it cuz he's obviously watching." "Say no more. I got you."

Just as I hang up, some students trickle in. My real phone vibrates and it's Layla. I already know she's seen the shit on IG. I'm not going to entertain it right now. She's just going to have to wait until after class or come down here, herself. My mind is all over the place, right now. I knew it would be hard but I was only thinking about the transition not some bullshit like this.

Once all my students get in, I go on with my lesson, like I didn't see the post. There's some people that say I'm not a good actor but ya boy put on a show. The only person to seem bothered was Serenity. She didn't even show up, to class. She's never missed a class. A part of me wants to use my teacher phone and call her but she's why I'm in this shit in the first place . If she didn't wanna sit me down and talk to me, none of this new shit would be going on. I feel myself getting frustrated again, so I get it out of my mind.

I finish the lesson and I let out a sigh of relief. I close the door and I go for the burner. I see a text from Tyrone and I'm happy with the message. It's a code message, to meet him at the usual spot. That means he got something for me. I pack up my things and head for the door. As I walk down the hall, I see Layla heading my way. Her head is in her phone so I duck down a hall. I gotta detour. I watch her look inside my room, before jetting down the hall. She calls me again. I can't answer that right now. I gotta call her back, once I get information on Taj.

When I get to the spot, I say the code word. He changes it every week. Can't be caught around here. I pull in and park in a garage. Four armed men guard the area. I step out slowly and look around for Tyrone. "Trigga in the flesh." Tyrone comes from a back room. "Can't even believe it, man." I dap him up. "Well you really not gone believe this." He shakes his head. "You ready?" "Lay it on me." "Alright so my boy with APD ran a search on Taj's phone. They found one number, other than Serenity's, calling him hella times, in the past month or so. While he was searching, another call came through and she gave him an address." "She?" I ask. "Yea, this woman right here." He pulls out a picture of Taj meeting with her. My eyes nearly bulges out of my head when I see that it's Jazmine." "They plotting against you boy. I told you that hoe wasn't no good."

My anger boils. How do they even know each other? "Man, what the fuck is going on?" I'm so frustrated right now. I can't even grasp what's happening. "What you want me to do? You know we can have them both handled." Tyrone says all too happily. I don't know if this is the route I want to go on. Maybe I should talk to Serenity about this first. See what she knows. "Give me a day. I'll hit you back. I appreciate you." "Got you." I dap him up again and head back to my car.

I'm deep in my thoughts, right now. Should I hit Serenity up or just handle it on my own. I really do want to check on her though. She never misses class. Damn. I pull into a Publix parking lot and look for my teacher phone. I've only interacted with 5 of my students, on this phone 4 had made a group chat for their project and of course Serenity.

"I'm sorry for missing class." She says, as soon as she picks up. It's good to hear her voice. "It's okay. Are you okay?" I ask. "Yea, I just...did you see the stuff they said about me and about you?" She's not okay. "I try not to look at that stuff. Being famous, everybody is always talking, good or bad. I'm sorry you're dragged into this." "No I'M sorry you're dragged into this. I know it's Taj. I don't understand why he's doing this. I thought we were good." "Me too. What happened?" "He swore it wasn't him who sent the pictures to the Shaderoom. I don't believe him. I broke up with him again. We're done this time. I can't deal with this shit. Ooh sorry." "It's okay. I know it's a lot going on but I have to tell you something." "Oh God, what?" "It wasn't just him. You remember my ex, from the Halloween party? She met up with him. You can't tell him you know that though." "Oh my God. Wait how do they even know each other?" "That's what I'm tryna figure out. You don't worry about that part. I just wanted to make sure you're okay and to make sure you read today's chapter, since you missed it." "Thank you. I appreciate that and if you need me to help with anything, I'm down. I'm sick of his ass and quite frankly Jazmine was not a way to go." She laughs. "Trust me, I know that now."