Love Lost

I thought I was nervous on my first day here but, TODAY, my anxiety is on a whole 'nother level. This is my last chance to prove to everybody, as well as myself, that I really can do this. I'd love nothing more than to succeed at this. My boy, Jerrod isn't here today, to take a lil edge off. I know I jokingly told him he wasn't welcomed back but truthfully, I need him. 

As if right on cue, Jerrod walks in my classroom. "I know you said not to come but I figured you'd need some help." He says. "Ay man. I'm not even gone lie. I appreciate it." I dap him up. "Seeing that it's your last day and all." Jerrod laughs. I can't stand this man. I slap him in the back of his neck, while he rushes to get away. "Come on man. I can't be in here fooling with you." I laugh back. He takes "his seat" in the back of the class. "But for real, man. It'd be dope, if you could really pull this off. It's unheard of." His words sink in. In one hour, I'll know my fate.

My students trickle in, little by little. Every time someone walks in, I slightly hope it's Serenity. I hope she hasn't  dropped the class. I've been so focused on the lesson that I didn't even look at my class list. I just sit behind my desk, trying to make myself busy, so no one notices my nervousness. My phone vibrates the desk and I see that it's a text from Jerrod. I look up at him with a face that says "What?", before reading it. Bruh, relax. I can see your sweat from here. lol. I accidentally laugh out loud. "Almost time to put the phones away huh, Mr. Neverson?" I hear someone say. To my surprise, I look up and see a smiling Serenity. I couldn't help but smile back. "You just be glad you made it on time." I laugh. "Touche'." She says, before sitting down in her seat. I check my watch and see that it is time to get the most important 50 minutes of my life over with. Here goes nothing...

***

"The president was very pleased with how the week ended so...." Mrs. Charm drags on. I rushed straight over to her office after my class. "So?" I ask eagerly. "You're officially a professor here, like everyone else." She smiles. "Yes!" I clap loudly. I am so proud of myself, I could cry. I cover my face with my hands just in case. "I knew you could do it. We all can see the passion that you have for this but it just needed that extra little push." "Oh my God. Thank you. I don't even know what else to say." "Well congratulations. I look forward to seeing you progress." I stand up to hug her and her perfume  catches me by surprise...in a good way. "Thank you." She hesitates but finally says something. "It was all you." She laughs nervously. "I gotta go call my mom." I laugh. "See you around, Mrs. Charm." "Yes, you will."

I practically run to my car. I completely forgot that Jerrod would be there waiting. "Aww, hell. That look on your face, says it all. You actually did it." He yells. "I damn sure did." I pull him into a dap/hug. "Man it's so unreal." "I bet. Now you just need to keep your head in the game and out of women's asses." He jokes but I know he's serious. I hate that he's right. "I know, man. I know. I got it. We gotta celebrate tonight." "You know I'm down. I'ma let the boys know." "Bet." We dap each other up one more time for parting ways. I'm starving, so it's only right that I treat myself for the rest of the day. Hell, I'm celebrating all weekend.

One thing I love to eat now, is seafood. This new spot just opened up in the A called The Juicy Crab. I haven't been there yet but I heard it was good. I wish I could've called ahead and ordered, so I could just dip out but they don't open until 12. I'm not tryna be seen, so 'm calling them right when they open. Hopefully I can make my order and it be ready in under 20. I'm hoping mostly everybody is at work. 

I pull up around noon, which is good since I said I wanted to my order at noon. I scan the parking lot and it's crazy how much people are already here.  Damn, it's lunch time. I didn't think about that. I mentally roll my eyes at myself but still went ahead and called in. I'm not taking any chances so I star 67 my number, before calling.  I order 1/2 lb of shrimp, 1/2 lb of crab, lobster, and extra corn and potatoes. I gave them the name "Trey". It's a pretty basic name. No one would know it's me, until I walk in. They said my order would be ready at 12:15, so I guess I'm chilling in the parking lot. 

I keep scanning the parking lot and somebody catches my eye. It's like unreal at this point. It's Serenity. She's walking hand in hand with the cool dude from my class. They're a thing? I would never picture her with someone like him. What? You pictured her with someone like you? I say to myself in my head. Hell, it's possible. I'm only 34 and she could be anywhere between 22 and 28. My class is for grad students. I watch them walk in, smiling at each other, like they're in love. It hits me that I really need to focus on my work and not the damn students. It felt like a love lost.

12:15 rolls around so I hop out the car, ready to grab and go. I open the door, not trying to make eye contact with anyone but the hostess, at the stand. "Oh wow." She says, shocked. "Hey, how you doing?" I ask trying to calm her down. "Wait, you're the Trey that called in?" "Yea that was me." I confess. "I knew it! I told Mya, it was you. I know your voice." She says then slaps her own forehead. "Sorry, I hope that wasn't creepy." "Nah, it's all good." I laugh. "I'm go get your order." She says before heading to the back. 

She comes back out with my food and I thank her, while getting the cash out. This lil' spot is expensive but I heard it's worth it. "Thanks again, Tasha." I say, reading her name tag. "Please come again." Tasha cheeses. I turn around, to leave and I notice Serenity and the cool kid (his name is Taj) looking my way. They both wave and now I feel compelled to speak. "Is it awkward seeing your professor outside of class?" I laugh. "It's awkward seeing you IN class." Taj jokes. I try not to take that personal. I laugh along with them. "Well, hopefully y'all still like me once I start giving homework next week." They both playfully groan at my statement. "Y'all enjoy your lunch." I nod before leaving.