seven

you don't have my lover's touch.

two weeks had passed since that party, and anne had gotten awfully close with harry. he had hung out with them every day since he started school, always staying close to anne. gilbert wondered why anne was so hostile towards him, but so friendly towards the new boy. maybe she really didn't like him, at all. but even anne knew, somewhere deep down, she did like gilbert. she did agree he was nice, he was only ever friendly with her, he had good music taste. he was also very handsome, probably one of the best looking boys she had seen in a while. but still, she pushed him away.

"hey anne, wanna hang out tonight?" harry asked her, a hopeful smile on his face. gilbert frowned, only wishing anne would say yes to hanging out with him, and not that harry boy.

"sure! what could we do?" asked anne, smiling softly. harry shrugged, taking a moment to think.

"we could..go to the movies?" he suggested. it wasn't a bad suggestion, and anne would feel bad if she said no, but she wasn't much of a go-to-the-movies-date kind of girl.

"sounds good." she said, trying to sound enthusiastic. even gilbert thought it was something she would hate, but he held his tongue. it would only make her hate him more.

——

school was over, and gilbert was more determined than ever to talk to anne. he decided he was finally going to ask her what her problem was with him. he had been there for a month, and she still hadn't warmed up to him, but harry had been there for two weeks and they were already going on dates. that day, diana's mom picked her up to take her to her little sisters dance recital, so gilbert had the chance to speak to anne alone.

"anne! wait up!" gilbert shouted as he saw her walking away from the school. the redhead stopped, turned around and revealed the confused look she had on her face.

"yes?" she said as he stopped in front of her.

"uh, can i walk with you? i wanted to talk to you about something." he asked, watching multiple different expressions flash over her face.

"uh...i guess?" she responded, but it came out as more of a question. he had never asked to walk home with her before. and she had no idea what he could possibly have to say to her.

"cool." he said as they started walking, it was silent for a few minutes. he knew exactly what he wanted to say, but now he was struggling to get his words out.

"are you gonna talk or not?" anne asked, getting frustrated.

"why do you hate me so much?" gilbert blurted out, making anne stop. she looked at him, her eyebrows raised. he thinks i hate him?

"i...i don't hate you. i just, we don't really get along." anne responded, unsure of what to say to him. she really didn't hate him.

"it sure seems like you hate me. you don't know if we get along, we've never gotten to know each other. i happen to think we could be really good friends." said gilbert, finally finding the words to say what he was thinking. anne didn't really know what to say to that. he was right after all, she didn't make any effort to get to know him.

"okay, yeah, you're right. i haven't gotten to know you. but is there a reason we should get to know each other? there are a lot of people at school i don't know very well." anne said, shrugging her shoulders. why would he even want to get to know her anyways? she knows how awful she has been to him.

"but i literally hang out with you and your friends everyday. they've all got to know me, it's just you. i don't understand. i've been here for a month and you still don't want to know me, but then there's harry who's been here for two weeks and you're already making plans to go on dates! why don't you want to get to know me?" gilbert rambled, taking a step closer to her. she looked up at him, her eyes wide. he was standing so close to her.

"it's not a date." she said quietly, unable to tear her eyes away from him. god, he really is beautiful. she thought, but immediately wiped that thought away from her mind.

"oh please! you guys are practically all over each other. i don't expect to go on dates with you, anne, but i'd like to get to know you." he said with a small laugh.

"shut up! we're not all over each other!" anne protested, moving away from gilbert and continuing her journey home.

"oh, really? okay! then what's with how close you sit to him? or how he always whispers in your ear to make you laugh? or how he literally asked you on a date earlier!" gilbert reasoned, laughing again. god, she really was oblivious.

"if i say yes to getting to know you will you stop talking about this?" she asked, laughing quietly. he had never made her laugh before.

"you have my word." he said with a grin. he knew he had began making progress at this point.

"fine." she said, nodding her head in agreement.

it can't be as bad as she thinks, can it?

———
A/N: truce? maybe !! i hope you're all enjoying the story so far :)
don't forget to comment & vote!!