fifteen

you looked me in the eye and then i wanted to erase myself.

a nervous and excited ruby gillis sat at her vanity table in her room while josie pye sat on her bed. it was the night of the date with gilbert. they hadn't exactly said where they were going, but gilbert said to dress casual.

"i thought you said gilbert liked anne." said josie as she lay flat on her back on ruby's bed.

"i thought he did. but he said yes straight away to going on a date with me, so i guess i was wrong." ruby concluded. josie only nodded her head. she was being unusually quiet, but ruby didn't comment.

after a long argument with josie over what to wear, she finally decided on a pink dress. after all, she always looked her best in pink.

(ruby's outfit)

(ruby's outfit)

"you look beautiful." josie said with a warm smile.

ruby grinned widely, and her grin somehow managed to widen further when she heard a knock at the front door.

"oh my god, he's here! okay, i'll see you when i get back jos. you sure you don't mind hanging out in my room until i'm back?" ruby asked. she was so excited, but also nervous. she had never really been on a proper date before.

"yes, i'm sure! now go! i'll see you when you get back." josie said with a smile, watching as ruby left her room and ran down the stairs.

——

"oh my god, no way!" ruby was now laughing at a story gilbert had told her about billy. they were getting along so well, and they actually had more in common than they thought.

"i know, he literally stuck his hand in because he actually thought we put his phone in there! it was the funniest thing i've ever seen i swear!" gilbert started laughing with ruby. it felt so easy, so relaxed. the two sat opposite each other in a both at the diner, each with a milkshake and a portion of chips in between them to share while they waited for their actual meals.

"so, are you enjoying it here in avonlea?" asked ruby, taking a sip from her chocolate milkshake.

"yeah, i really am. like i've only lived here for two months but i've never felt so at home. and now i have some of the best friends i could ever ask for." gilbert said, smiling widely. his mind was so far away from anne, that was until she walked through the door with diana, cole and jerry. she looked amazing, as usual. he had noticed lately she had worn colours other than yellow, red and orange.

(anne's outfit, imagine it with black and white high top converse)

he teared his eyes away from her, remembering he was on a date with another girl. shit. i thought going on a date would help me get over this stupid crush. thought gilbert, as he tried his hardest to listen to everything ruby had to say.

"hey guys!" diana said as she walked up to them. she knew they were on a date, she didn't know they were going to be here though.

"oh, hey!" said ruby, smiling widely at four of her friends in front of her.

"are you guys having a good time?" asked jerry, smirking slightly. anne stayed quiet. she looked at how perfect the two looked on a date, sat opposite each other. she wished she would be able to look that perfect with someone. that perfect with gilbert. no! shut up anne. stop it. anne thought, biting her lip to avoid letting anything escape her mouth.

"yes! we are. it's going great. right, gil?" said ruby. something about hearing someone else call him gil felt strange. he much preferred it when anne called him gil.

"oh, yeah! we're having a good time." said gilbert, glancing at anne for a second. she glanced straight back at him, causing them to make eye contact which they both looked away from.

"cool, well we'll leave you two lovebirds to it. see you later." jerry said with a chuckle before they walked over to a different booth.

while the four waited for their food to come, anne couldn't stop staring at gilbert. the others were talking, but she wasn't really listening. she wondered what it would be like to go on a date with him. but she didn't want to go on a date with him. because she didn't like him.

"hello? earth to anne?" said cole, waving a hand in front of anne's face.

"oh, sorry. what were you saying?" she asked, tearing her eyes away from gilbert.

"what were you looking at?" asked cole.

"nothing." anne said, knowing she had been caught. cole looked behind him, immediately spotting gilbert before grinning.

"oh my god. you were staring at gilbert!" said cole, clapping his hands. anne shook her head quickly.

"no i wasn't!" she protested, even though she really was.

"oh yes you were." cole said, reaching over and poking her in the shoulder.

"okay, so what if i was?" said anne, shrugging her shoulders. no big deal, right?

"anne. you totally like him." said diana, nudging anne.

"i don't! stop saying that!" anne said. it was getting so frustrating.

"anne. think about it. you're sitting staring at him while he's on a date with another girl. you've been quiet ever since we got here. you were quiet the day ruby told us she got a date with gilbert. you like him. you have a crush!" diana attempted to reason. the more diana said it, the more anne began to realise. is that what these feelings were? the annoying butterflies in her stomach? feeling jealous of ruby? smiling whenever she sees his face? not being able to stop thinking about him? her eyes suddenly widened as she looked around at all of her friends.

"no...this can't be." anne whispered, her friends raising their eyebrows. "holy shit. holy fucking shit. i like gilbert." anne finally admitted, unable to speak any further than that.

"i fucking knew it!" jerry said excitedly as all of her friends cheered.

she had finally come to terms with it. but what she couldn't come to terms with was the fact he would never like her back. she would just have to settle for being best friends.

———
A/N: hi! i'm posting another update in celebration of the anne with an e season 3 trailer!!!! did you guys see it?!
if you can't watch because you're not in canada, it's on youtube!
the part where anne & gilbert are dancing :') my heart exploded omg
anyways! hope you enjoyed this chapter and are happy now that anne & gilbert finally realised their feelings!!!
don't forget to comment & vote!