thirty-eight

can we always be this close, forever and ever?

"i told you. i fucking told you he liked you!!! all the way back in october. this is just proof that i'm always right." said cole, who lay on his stomach beside diana on anne's bed, while anne sat on her desk chair.

"i feel like i'm in a romantic novel. and i'd also like to point out that i also told you he liked you. how many times did i say that? way too many to actually count!" diana chimed in. anne gave her two best friends the look. the look that said 'please stop talking'.

"okay, okay. i get it! you were both right and i was oblivious. but can we focus on the fact i'm literally going on a date with him tonight, and i still don't know where he's taking me. what do i wear?!" said anne, crossing her arms. ever since anne had told her friends about what happened the day before, diana and cole had made sure she remembered the fact they were right about gilbert liking her.

"okay, okay. sorry. let's look at your options." said diana, climbing off the bed and walking over to anne's closet. anne leaned her elbows on her desk, her chin resting in her hands. she knew diana would find her an outfit, but all she could think about was the date. she was finally getting her date with gilbert, but what if it didn't go well? what if they just weren't meant to be? what if she had wasted all of this time and all of these feelings for nothing?

"anne. stop overthinking. you and gilbert were made for each other, i swear. please don't worry too much about this." said cole, his voice soft and delicate. he knew how much anne could love someone, and he also knew how much she second guessed their love in return.

"i can't help it. i've never felt like this about anybody before. i don't even know what it is i'm feeling. it's so weird. but i know it would break me if this date went wrong. what if it goes wrong? what if he doesn't like me?" anne rambled, biting her bottom lip.

"anne. gilbert has liked you since he first got here. he's not going to stop liking you now, or ever. that boy is whipped. you have nothing to worry about." cole reassured her, smiling softly towards her. anne nodded her head. she knew cole had a point, but it was still hard for her to believe it.

"okay! i have the perfect outfit." said diana, smiling widely as she walked over to anne. "go put it on."

anne stood up, taking the outfit to the bathroom with her. as she pulled the outfit on, she smiled at her reflection. diana barry, you angel. thought anne.

(anne's outfit, imagine it with dr marten boots not those heels)

anne walked back into the room where her two friends sat on her bed. they both looked up at her, wide smiles across their faces.