thirteen

you were so sweet, like honey.

anne lay on her bed, while cole and diana sat on the floor of her room. anne had been so sad since harry broke up with her. she was beginning to wonder why, because although he was awfully kind and he made her smile and laugh, they had almost nothing in common. and they had only ever held hands and hugged, he didn't even try to kiss her once. she wasn't trying to say he should kiss her, but what sort of seventeen (almost eighteen) year old boy doesn't like kissing?

"are you thinking about harry again?" asked diana, moving to sit beside anne on her bed. in actual fact, the girl was thinking of a certain curly haired boy, but she didn't want to admit that so she nodded her head.

"yeah. it just sucks, i mean, i didn't do anything wrong. did i? i can't believe he even had the audacity to say gilbert blythe liked me. and that i liked him?! ridiculous. gilbert and i may be friendly, but i wouldn't date him if he was the last man on earth." said anne stubbornly. she groaned in frustration. i mean, who is harry to tell her who she likes and doesn't like? she had no feelings for gilbert blythe. none at all.

"i mean, he could be right." said diana, nervously. she knew anne would react negatively to this, but she knew something was going on.

"diana barry! you take that back right now." anne said as she sat up on her bed, looking at her best friend. "cole, tell her she's being ridiculous." cole looked at anne, but didn't say a word. he agreed with diana. "what, you agree with her?!"

"anne, calm down. i'm just saying. he could be right, you just haven't realised it yet." diana attempted to reason. anne struggled to find words to reply, so she huffed.

"oh come on! you know gilbert has a crush on you, right?" said cole, as if he was stating an obvious fact. well, it was an obvious fact to anyone who wasn't anne.

"he does not!" anne almost yelled. she couldn't understand why her friends were talking this way. gilbert most certainly did not have a crush on her.

her friends stopped bothering her about it after that, and anne lay back down. is there a possibility that gilbert did like her?

he was always awfully kind to her. and he liked to make her laugh, and he did like to give her compliments. but that's just what friends do, right?

she shook the thoughts away immediately, quietly laughing at herself for even thinking about it.

——

the next day was friday, which meant gilbert had to go to school. he had to see anne. ever since he had come to the conclusion he actually had a crush on anne, he wasn't sure how to act around her. how could he go back to being his usual self around her after he figured out the truth of his feelings?

he thought maybe it was just a silly crush. he would get over it in time. she's just a friend. she's just a friend.

still, gilbert blythe strolled into school that friday morning promising himself he wouldn't let his feelings show. anne shirley would never feel the same about him, and if she knew of his feelings for her, she would most likely go back to her rude, hostile self she was when he first arrived.

he spotted her standing by her locker, she was by herself. her red haired was in waves down her back as she had a book in her hand, her locker door was still open, but she seemed more interested in her book than what was in her locker.

"good morning, shirley." said gilbert, announcing his arrival. anne looked up and smiled widely at him. she really did love it when he called her shirley, but she would never tell him that.

"good morning, gilbert." she said in that soft, happy voice that he had grown to adore. he watched her smile as he said her name, trying to fight the urge to kiss her there and then. control yourself, gilbert. he warned himself.

"care to let me escort you to class?" said gilbert, in the poshest voice he could which made anne giggle.

"we have the same class first, idiot." she said with a smile as she closed her locker.

"well, miss shirley, care to walk to class with me?" he said, continuing the same voice he had used before as he lifted his arm up. he didn't expect her to actually link their arms, but she did.

"why thank you, mr blythe." said anne in her poshest voice too.

"what on earth are you two doing?" asked diana, over hearing their conversation as she laughed. anne and gilbert looked at each other, before they both burst out laughing. diana shook her head, laughing as she walked ahead of them. "i don't know you guys!"

as gilbert looked at anne as she laughed, he realised something. he realised the worst, yet most amazing, possible thing.

he was really gone for anne shirley. so far gone, he thought he might actually be in love with her.

———
A/N: hi again!!! i love reading your reactions whenever i post a chapter, it's literally the cutest thing and you guys are so funny too :')
thank you for all of the support! you're in for some crazy surprises soon!
don't forget to comment & vote!