thirty-four

this is the day, when things fall into place.

a few days after the fall, anne lay on her bed with her foot elevated. her friends had decided they would all go to ruby's house and facetime anne together, since marilla said it was too much to have all of her friends over. she smiled as her phone began ringing, answering it straight away.

"hey guys." said anne, a smile on her face. she noticed three people were missing. diana, emily and gilbert. diana didn't surprise her, considering she had only left anne's bedside ten minutes prior. she didn't care much for the fact that emily wasn't there. but where was gilbert? probably with emily.

"are you okay?" asked tillie, a concerned look on her face.

"yeah, i'm okay. it doesn't hurt too bad anymore. they said it's just a sprain, and i have to try not to put too much pressure on it over the next six weeks. i got some medication for the pain if i need it. they also gave me crutches. i'll be back to school on monday." explained anne, turning the camera around so they could see her elevated ankle.

"i can't believe you really walked across that roof. you were such a badass!" jane said excitedly. "i'm sorry about your ankle, though."

"thanks jane. i was secretly shitting myself, but she basically dared me and you know i never turn down a dare." said anne with a laugh. the group talked some more, before there was a knock at her door. "oh guys, i think marilla is at the door. i'll talk to you guys later!" all of the friends said goodbye, hanging up the facetime call. "come in."

much to anne's surprise, it wasn't marilla at the door. instead, there was a curly haired boy standing in her doorway. he smiled at her sadly, not moving from where he was.

"oh, hi gilbert. i thought you were marilla." said anne, trying to sit up a little more in her bed. she looked at him, confusion on her face. "you can come in, you know."

he closed the door behind him, walking over and sitting on the edge of her bed beside her. he felt awful about what happened, even though it wasn't his fault.

"are you okay?" he asked her, breaking the silence. he didn't know to act around her, on the day of her fall she had been awfully cold towards him. he thought he had done something to upset her.

"i'm okay, gilbert. it's just a sprain." said anne, a small smile on her face. at least he cares. "so, why are you here?"

"i came to see if you were okay. and...to apologise. i'm sorry you even walked along the ridge pole. emily shouldn't have told you to do that." said gilbert. anne's face softened, he really was apologising for the shitty actions of his girlfriend.

"don't apologise, gil. it's not your fault. you didn't tell me to do it, you don't have to apologise for shitty things your girlfriend does. i'm sorry i was so rude to you that day, i was just so mad." said anne, smiling softly at the boy in front of her.

"uh..she's um..she's actually not my girlfriend anymore. i broke up with her yesterday, because she refused to apologise to you. i don't know, over the past few days she hasn't been the same emily." gilbert explained. anne's heart almost jumped out of her chest when he told her they broke up. i shouldn't be happy about this, she thought.

"oh, i'm sorry you broke up. that sucks. are you okay?" asked anne, playing with her hands nervously.

"i cant believe you're asking me if i'm okay when you're the one lying in bed with a sprained ankle." said gilbert, a laugh escaping his lips. anne laughed with him, shaking her head. "but yes, i'm okay. i haven't actually told anybody this but...i don't think i ever really liked her. i know how bad that sounds, and i must've had some sort of feelings for her, but maybe not the way i thought i did." gilbert admitted, feeling the weight being lifted off his chest.

"it's okay, gil. i don't think i ever actually liked harry, sometimes you don't completely realise things until after you're out of the relationship." said anne. anne always understood, she never judged anybody.

"plus...i think i always had feelings for someone else." said gilbert, a wave of confidence coming over him. anne's eyes wanted to look anywhere else but gilbert, but she couldn't take her eyes off him. who has he had feelings for?

"oh. really?" was all she managed to say. she didn't know how to respond to him. she was happy a few minutes prior, but now the familiar pang in her chest arose at the thought of him being in love with someone else.

"yeah. she isn't like anybody else. i think you'd like her." he said, a wide smile playing on his lips. he knew how oblivious she was to the fact he was talking about her, so he didn't mind how open he was being.

"maybe i would." said anne, forcing a smile.

there was something on gilbert's mind. something he needed to talk to anne about. their almost kiss on new year's eve. he had thought about it none stop for four months, and he had never found the right time to talk about it.

"hey, anne?" he began, turning his body to face her.

"yeah?" she said, moving along so he could sit on the bed properly.

"about new year's eve...you know, when we almost kissed?" he said, his voice wavering. her eyes widened, she was not expecting him to bring it up. "i'm sorry if i made you uncomfortable, i've noticed we haven't spent as much time together since."

"oh, no! gilbert. you didn't make me uncomfortable, i...infact, i don't think i would've minded if you had kissed me. i mean...i wouldn't have found that uncomfortable? sorry. i'm being so awkward." anne rambled. she didn't mean for that to come out of her mouth, it just slipped out. i can't believe i just told him i wouldn't have minded if he kissed me. what the fuck anne?! she thought to herself.

"oh, so you wouldn't mind if i tried to kiss you?" said gilbert, a playful smirk across his face. his heart was actually beating unusually fast, and he was finding it hard to catch his breath. anne shirley wouldn't mind if i kissed her. he thought to himself.

"shut up, you're going to embarrass me now." she said, a soft giggle escaping her lips. he grinned widely at her, still completely unaware of how in love she was with him.

but he would soon find out.

———
A/N: soooo, i changed my username !
also, ik i just updated but i just love reading your comments so i thought i'd give u guys another chapter !
i've been painting my room all day....we going yellow my dudes!!!!
i'm also starting to write an awae social media fic if any of you guys would be interested in that??? lemme know in the comments!!
don't forget to vote too :)