eleven

i like me better when i'm with you.

it had been four days since the incident at the field. anne had noticed harry had been acting different. strange, even. he wasn't as loving towards her, or as interested in the conversation. she thought he must be having some sort of issues at the andrews residence, because she couldn't seem to remember anything she had said to upset him.

"morning, harry." said anne as she approached her boyfriend. at the moment, he felt more like an acquaintance than her boyfriend.

"morning." he replied. marilla had told anne countless times to hold her tongue, but she couldn't for any longer.

"okay, what's wrong?" asked anne, looking at her boyfriend as they stood outside of school. he furrowed his brows, looking at her.

"what do you mean?" he asked, shrugging his shoulders. he was playing dumb, and anne didn't like it.

"are you serious? harry, you've been acting weird for days. what's going on?" anne said matter-of-factly. harry thought about what he should say, should he pretend like everything was fine? or should he say what he was really thinking?

"look, i've been noticing some weird things lately. like, when i first met you, you hated gilbert. now all of a sudden you're best friends who share favourite bands and stuff. he likes you anne, and you're so blind to the fact that he does. and the fact that you quite clearly like him too." harry said, sighing. anne laughed slightly, thinking he must be joking. anne liking gilbert? no way. gilbert liking anne? no way.

"don't be silly, harry. gilbert does not like me in that way. and i most definitely do not like him in that way. he may be my friend but it doesn't mean he isn't the most infuriating, annoying person i've ever met." said anne. there was no possible way gilbert would like anne.

"you're so oblivious, anne. he always stares at you, he laughs every time you make a joke, he's so interested in every single word that comes out of your mouth. i've seen him, anne. he likes you. and i think you like him too." harry told her. anne shook her head. he's obviously reading too much into this, she thought.

"no. gilbert doesn't like me! we're just friends! i don't even like him. i like you! you're my boyfriend. why would i like another boy when i'm with you?" anne said. she thought she was about to cry. but, she was also getting angry. how dare he accuse her of liking someone else? especially gilbert blythe. sure, he was cute, and he was funny, and he always complimented her, and they had so much in common, and he seemed interested in what she had to say. but that doesn't mean he liked her. right?

"look, anne, i think we should break up. i don't want to be anybody's second choice. i like you, i really do, but i think you need the space more than i do. goodbye, anne." said harry, walking away before she even had the chance to respond. anne stood by herself for a moment, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. why would he think she liked gilbert? out of all the boys in school?

"hey, anne." a voice said, standing in front of her. she looked up, meeting the eyes of the person in question. gilbert blythe. she didn't know what to say. she was suddenly frozen as she looked into his eyes. those big, brown eyes. she noticed a slight hint of green in his left eye. she looked over his face. how on earth was he that handsome? she didn't know how long she had been staring, but gilbert sure was giving her a weird look.

"hey." she responded. what if he did like her? don't be stupid anne, he doesn't like you. she thought.

gilbert now stared at her. her freckles scattered across her face, her beautiful pink lips looking glossy and plump, her magnificent red hair flowing over her shoulders and down her back. shit, i need to stop staring. thought gilbert.

"are you okay?" he asked her, noticing her glum expression. she hesitated for a moment, should she tell him? she decided it would be best. but minus the reason why he broke up with her.

"uh, harry and i just broke up." said anne. she thought she would've been sadder than she was. but, something inside her actually felt relieved. she didn't know why.

"what? why?!" gilbert asked. who in their right mind would dump anne shirley? he thought to himself.

"um...we just...we weren't working." that was anne's best excuse. she couldn't mention the fact harry thought anne and gilbert liked each other. that would be too awkward.

"oh, i'm so sorry anne. that sucks." said gilbert, a sincere smile on his face. anne nodded her head as the two turned to face the doors of the school, walking inside.

all anne could think about that day was what harry had said. she didn't like gilbert blythe. but why was she thinking about him so much?

———
A/N: sure anne...you don't like gilbert...
are you enjoying it so far!
pls let me know by commenting & voting!