nineteen

she's my device, i don't think twice.

ruby and josie had been spending more and more time together. they'd grown closer than ever. something had changed in their friendship. suddenly they were stealing glances at one another, holding hands whenever they could, stealing small kisses whenever possible. neither one had expected this to happen, but it did.

the two girls hid in a corner at school, giggling uncontrollably as they pressed small kisses on each other's faces. nobody could see them, so it didn't matter. josie pressed her lips against ruby's softly, bringing her hand up to caress the girls soft cheek. it was so special to them, to be able to feel this way without anyone finding out. they hadn't labelled what they were, especially since josie was still dating billy and everyone still thought ruby liked gilbert. their moments together were special, secret. nobody needed to know. until they did.

anne, gilbert, diana and jane were all walking to the cafeteria when diana spotted something. or someone.

"wait.." said diana, stopping and focusing on what she was seeing. anne furrowed her brows, moving to stand next to diana.

"what is it?" anne asked, trying to see where diana was looking. when she spotted it, she gasped. "oh my god!"

"that's ruby and josie?!" diana almost shouted. jane and gilbert immediately ran over, looking at what the other two girls were looking at.

"oh my god!" said jane and gilbert in unison. anne thought it was best to not say anything, the girls would talk to them when they were ready. but diana had other thoughts.

"ruby?!" diana said, walking towards the two girls. they jumped apart, staring at diana. they had been caught. "what's going on?"

"i..i..oh my god." said ruby, biting her lip nervously. josie grabbed her hand for comfort.

"okay, you caught us." said josie, as if it wasn't a big deal.

"you were kissing! what?! when did this happen?!" jane asked, now standing beside diana. josie and ruby looked at each other, then back at their friends, then to anne and gilbert who stood behind them looking confused.

"hey..guys. leave them alone. they'll tell us whenever they're ready." said anne, standing in between jane and diana and giving the other two girls reassuring smiles.

"it's okay, anne. look. it happened after i kissed gilbert and then he told me he didn't like me, blah blah blah. it just..happened. we didn't even know it was going to happen until it did. but we have something. something so special. and i know josie is still dating billy, we're working on this still. she will tell him everything. please, just don't tell anybody." ruby tried her hardest to explain, but her voice was trembling. josie squeezed her hand, nodding her head in agreement.

"look, i really like ruby. it's been confusing for both of us for the past couple of weeks. we've been best friends since we were five, this was never planned. but she's right, we do have something special. just promise us you won't tell anyone. please." josie practically begged, which anne found unusual but she nodded her head anyways.

"we're gonna go. i'm sorry diana and jane interrupted. it's not our business." said anne. glaring at diana and jane who both apologised straight away. anne and gilbert began walking away, leaving diana and jane to say god knows what.

"that was...surprising." said gilbert after a moment of silence.

"you're telling me?!" anne said, laughing slightly. gilbert laughed with her.

they walked together until they reached the cafeteria, where gilbert stopped. anne stopped a few steps ahead of him, raising her eyebrows.

"you alright gil?" she asked, wondering why he stopped.

"let's go sit in the field instead." he said. he didn't think about what he did next, he just grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the doors opposite the cafeteria. it was the first time they had ever held hands. her heart was beating faster as his hand held onto hers. his skin was soft, but rough. his hands were bigger than hers, a lot bigger.

it took until they made it to the field for gilbert to notice he had impulsively taken her hand. the same hand he's been wondering all about for weeks. he was going to let go, until he realised anne hadn't protested to holding his hand. in fact, she was holding it back. she didn't say a word about it.

he was right about her hands. they were soft, and they were warm. they were small, and fit perfectly in his. it was like it was meant to be.

"um...lets sit over there." said anne, reluctantly letting go of his hand. she didn't want to, but she didn't want to kid herself into thinking it was a romantic gesture.

the two lay down beside each other, looking up at the sky. it was silent for ten minutes, neither daring to look at each other.

"it's a shame there's no daisy's this time of year. you could've made me another one of your daisy chains." said gilbert suddenly, making anne giggle as she remembered putting the flower crown she made on his head.

"next year, don't worry. you'll have plenty of flower crowns next summer." she said with a laugh. they turned their heads to look at each other, still laying down on the grass.

gilbert smiled at her, taking his time to take in her features. she looked even more magnificent underneath the autumn sun. he wondered what her lips felt like, were they soft? what would it be like to kiss them?

anne smiled back at him. he was looking at her intently, but for the first time, she didn't seem to mind. she watched his eyes wander around her face, her face was heating up slightly but she somehow enjoyed being the centre of his attention.

"god shirley, you're so beautiful." gilbert whispered, reaching over and tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, which was also something he had been wanting to do for a while. she closed her eyes as she felt his finger tips graze over her cheek.

anne's stomach was doing somersaults, she had never felt like this about someone before. it didn't help that gilbert was just naturally flirty. she was falling in too deep, and she was scared she wouldn't be able to get back out again.

———
A/N: hi again! i hope ur all liking this so far....do u like josie & ruby as a couple ??? i think they're pretty cute!
also who else is wanting shirbert to just admit their feelings?!
don't forget to comment & vote!