twenty-nine

if i tell you i miss you one more time, will you hop on the plane and stay the night?

"nothing. we were just joking on." anne said quickly, the two sitting on the edge of anne's bed keeping a safe distance between them as they looked at diana.

"uh huh, yeah, that's not what i saw." said diana, trying to stop herself from grinning.

"i was tickling her, because she said she was better than me. that's all it was." said gilbert, glancing at anne. he was so close to kissing her, if only he hadn't wasted his time thinking about it too much.

"so, uh, did you forget i was driving you to the beach?" said diana, changing the subject as they both looked awkward. shit. anne knew she was forgetting something when she said yes to gilbert taking her. she had totally forgot that diana was supposed to be driving her.

"oh, shit. i'm so sorry, di. gil asked to drive me and i forgot, so i said yes." said anne. in all honesty, she got excited when gilbert asked her, and didn't really think about anything else.

"it's okay, anne. i'll meet you guys there." said gilbert as he stood up, his usual smile on his face. he knew it was probably best to let anne go with diana, so that he could have some time to think while he drove to the beach. anne was secretly grateful too, as she was scared in case it was awkward in the car.

"oh, okay. cool! see you soon." said anne, watching as gilbert left the room. once the two heard him say bye to the cuthberts and left the house, diana raised one eyebrow.

"so, anne shirley, what on earth have i just witnessed?" she asked, waiting for anne to put her shoes on so they could leave.

"nothing." said anne, biting her bottom lip. she didn't want to have to tell diana, even though she knew she had to.

"oh come on, anne. you were basically kissing!" diana pleaded as they walked out of anne's room.

"can we talk about this in the car? i don't want matthew or marilla hearing this." anne asked, earning a nod from diana.

anne said goodbye to matthew and marilla, making her way outside to have the dreaded conversation with diana in the car.

once the two girls got in the car, diana looked at anne expectantly as she started the car up.

"i guess you wanna know what happened." said anne, raising her eyebrows as her best friend nodded her head. "well, it is what we told you. i really did say i was better than him, as a joke, then he started tickling me. he told me to take it back but i wouldn't, and before we knew it we were in that position. he was like...on top of me i guess? then something happened...we were like drawn to each other. our lips touched for like a second, it wasn't even a kiss, it was like a really light touch. but it was amazing diana, for a moment i thought maybe he could like me too. it felt amazing."

diana smiled widely towards anne. she knew gilbert liked anne. she hoped tonight something would happen, maybe he would make his move.

"it looked....cute. i'm sorry i interrupted, marilla did tell me gilbert was there but i didn't think i was going to find you in that position. it's about time though, you guys are meant to be i swear." said diana as she kept her eyes on the road. diana was always wise, she always knew what to say. anne always trusted diana, she would never let her down.