Jon VIII

A/N: Soon I'm gonna forget my Roman numerals. Longest chapter yet!

When Jon woke up, the first thing he felt was the wound in his back as a stab of pain pulsed through it. The second thing he felt, which was admittedly much better than the first feeling, was the weight of Daenerys' head on his shoulder. When he investigated, he saw that her body seemed to curl into him.

It was apparent that while he hadn't moved a muscle throughout the night, her body had betrayed her and placed itself as close to him as it possibly could. Jon had no complaints. Instead, he was perfectly content to gaze at Daenerys while she slept.

Never has she looked so serene. Never, not even back in Westeros when he would wake up before her and gaze at her beauty. He supposed it was because she had a lot on her mind back in Westeros, like the upcoming wars. Now, though, she was free from such troubling thoughts, and Jon was happy to see it. He would happily sacrifice anything, even his own life, to have her remain in this state of such serenity.

His eyes scanned her face slowly, taking in all of her features he came to love. Her ever expressive eyebrows, her long eyelashes he would sometimes feel as she kissed along his body. He didn't let his thoughts linger for too long there, for then he'd have a real issue. Her soft lips, looking a bit chapped. And then her perfectly dimpled chin, tempting him to kiss it. He didn't, though, respecting her wishes to give her time. Time to get used to him, to trust him again.

He supposed she must trust him a little, seeing as she slept beside him, or as he should now say on him. Even if she did say she had a dagger hidden nearby in case. She must know that if he actually wanted her dead, a dagger wouldn't be enough to stop him.

Shaking away that dark thought, he gently lifted a hand to her face, brushing away a stray hair. He let his hand linger, caressing her soft tresses. It was something he often did while she slept.

He felt and heard her breathing shift, as she slowly began to wake up. She nestled against Jon's caressing hand, letting out a hum of contentment, her body sinking even closer to his own. He held his breath as she suddenly stiffened. Then he exhaled heavily as she melted back, a small chuckle escaping her.

"I always did have trouble staying on my side, haven't I?" She spoke, her voice thick with sleep. Her hand traced along his abdomen from where it previously lay. Jon stiffened slightly, his heartbeat picking up.

"That's right," Jon murmured, feeling a bit confused as to how accepting she was of this. Maybe it was because she had just awoken. Her head was probably still foggy. In a few moments, she'll likely become more closed off. For now, he resumed his gentle caresses.

Violet eyes bore into his own. "What are you doing?"

He stilled his hand. Perhaps those few moments passed. "Sorry, I couldn't help it. I've missed your beautiful hair."

She was silent for a moment, before nudging her head against his hand. "Continue, then. It feels nice, familiar." That came as a shock to Jon. He wouldn't ponder it, though.

With a smile, he continued his gentle ministrations, with less hesitancy than before. He let his fingers run through her silver strands, freeing any knots as he went. Dany let her eyes slip closed as she seemed to begin to lull back to sleep.

Her efforts were interrupted by a sudden loud sound from the ceiling, followed by the chambers shaking. The sound of stone scraping against stone came next. Dany's eyes shot back open and she groaned. Jon pulled his hand away, quite startled himself.