Jon XVI

A/N: I think you might enjoy this one. I'm most proficient at writing Jon's perspective, so I'll likely stick to him more often. Also I drew baby Lyarrax for fun so I'm sharing it.

Also check out @jhaenysflowers and her story The Many-Faced God. It's so well written and interesting and needs more recognition. She's such a great writer and a kindhearted person! All the love for her. This chapter goes out to her cuz she helped me realize how to become a better writer. And man, I'm proud of how this one turned out.

Jon looked out over the side of the balcony, to the city of Meereen. He took in the sights, of the brown mixture of clays and terra-cotta, textures he grew used to in the place he called home for two years now. He would soon be leaving it behind. Maybe he'd come back, as Daenerys said before, he was regarded as King here. He recalled the way they looked at him when he and Dany walked among them. The looks of respect.

The sun was setting, casting the city in a radiant light, a sight for sore eyes such as Jon's. He flitted his eyes to the shining bay, and the dragons that flew restlessly above it, their silhouettes only differentiable by the hulking size of Drogon. He and Rhaegal would be setting off on the morrow, if things went smoothly. He still had to talk to Daenerys about his change in plans.

She would need to stay behind while he took back the North. He didn't trust her safety in the unforgiving environment, surrounded by enemies, those who never truly accepted her during her time in the North. They cheered for her death. And then there was Sansa, whose cunningness continued to surprise Jon. But no, he would be ready this time. His grip tightened on the clay fence of the balcony, his eyebrows narrowing as he thought of Sansa. What was he to do with her? He certainly couldn't kill her, that was too frowned upon.

She committed treason, that was a fact that wouldn't be overlooked. Treason against Daenerys, by spreading his name to those that would see her fall. Against him by breaking an oath, as he was a king. Most treasons end in death, but perhaps she would be let off easier in return for giving him the North. If she did. Jon barely knew Sansa anymore. He sighed, bringing his hand to his forehead and pushing down, trying to ward off the headache that was forming.

"Jon," the soothing voice of his love met his ears and a moment later he felt the soft touch of Daenerys' hand on his arm, causing him to look away from the city and to lock his gaze on hers. "My love, what troubles you? Come to bed, we leave early tomorrow."

Huffing out a breath through his nose, he readied himself. "About that, Daenerys.. I've been thinking."

"Uh oh," she teased with a small laugh. "That's never good, is it?"

"Hey," he retorted, before being unable to resist those smiling full lips. He kissed them lightly before pulling out of her grip, but keeping hold of her hand. "I've been doing some smart thinking for once."

Sensing the seriousness in his tone, Daenerys nodded, straightening her face into a queenly mask. "Go on."

Alright, this was it. Jon took a breath. "I want you to stay behind, while I go and take back the North."

Her eyebrows immediately furrowed, the protest surely rising in her throat, but Jon stopped her with a wave of his hand.

"Let me explain why, love. First and foremost, your safety would be compromised if you came while the North is still under Sansa's rule," Jon explained, and was satisfied when she closed her mouth. Good, she understood.