pink ribbon ✍︎

Once again Renji had narrowly escaped, holding onto his life dearly as he returned to his sister. Meanwhile, while the white-haired ghoul disappeared in between the condensed buildings, Uta laid against the cold concrete.

He felt his blonde hair dampen against the rough ground and individual rocks prick at his exposed skin.

Somehow, the sadistic teen could still manage to release deep, haunting laughter as he imagined the taste of Renji's blood bleeding over his palette.

"What a sweet taste it'll be" Uta spoke to himself, drowning in the fantasy until he caught the whiff of something delicious.

The smell enticed him, pulling him so tautly against a red string he could feel himself suddenly floating. At the sensation of the human's scent tickling his nostrils, Uta stood from the concrete and dragged his mask over his sharp vision. A white covering with ominous stitching plaguing it swiftly hid his identity, allowing the uncivilised ghoul to follow the aroma.

It was as if a line of pink smoke was leading the way through the desolate streets, like a ribbon undulating beneath the orange lamplight.

Soon enough, an entranced Uta steered himself toward a house among many in the 4th Ward. However, unlike most it was built with bars like a jail cell lining every window and door.

Yet, one window still remained vulnerable as a panting westerner knitted her arms upon the window pane.

Uta knew she was the scent which caressed his senses instantly once he caught sight of her hazel eyes half closed and glazed with a sheen of exhaustion.

He hadn't seen a westerner before. He knew Japan wasn't sun shine and rainbows, he made it that way. But, he wasn't less intrigued by the girl.

She looked around his age with short brown hair that framed her cheeks (almost like it was their job) delicately following the curve of her jaw. Soft features entirely made up her face with freckles marking her pale skin like constellations.

He indeed did wonder of who she was.

Crouched in a dark corner of a nearby road, Uta slowly watched as the human girl slowly dropped to sleep with her fringe tickling her brows. He was curious but more so wanting as he caught another smell of her delectable flesh.

The savage ghoul could simply jump through into her room and feast until the bone. However, he liked to season his food with fear and leave it to simmer through the chase.

What a game to begin Uta thought before a new idea plopped into his head.

It was a minimalistic mask but so fitting for the sleeping human. So before he disappeared to his little hole in the wall, Uta curled his lips into a farewell smile and jumped from his shadow.

_________ ✍︎

He had never finished a mask so fast. In under an hour it was sketched, the materials were labelled and the sizes were scribbled. To any other, the notes surrounding the sketch were messy and unintelligible, he had to teach himself after all.

For the whole night, the ghoul cut the fabric, bent the metal and manipulated all those stray pieces into his idea.

It wasn't his usual style. It was minimalistic, yes, and the colours were all wrong, ranging from pale pink to a holographic effect bleeding the fabric purple.

It was styled like ribbons encasing the whole head of the wearer, as if strangling the ghoul and trapping them in a constant state of darkness.

It was pretty morbid Uta was thinking despite the colourful exterior. He even held it above his head -tilting it against the lights- to capture the switch between the various colours melting in the fabric.

As he assessed his work, Uta felt a wide smile curl against his lips.

He still had it.

Surely, he had now found his muse. When he acknowledged his human inspiration, Uta had sat on his red, leather sofa in the back room and continued to near enough fill his sketchbook.

He could see the sleeping girl in every design as he munched on a pale, blue eye. The icy orb was a delicacy tucked away on the highest shelf; like he said, westerners didn't think to visit Japan.

Continuously, throughout that Friday night into the Saturday, Uta felt compelled to follow that girl. He knew she wouldn't escape his grip, she was already caught between his fingers and there was no release.

_________ ✍︎

I feel like because Uta is an artist I wanted Jane to be portrayed as a twisted and disturbed sort of muse for him.

Basically, I've made Uta a mix between himself and Tsukiyama but with masks and not delicacies like the Gourmet he is.

I hope that's clear and people enjoy that concept.

Who has your favourite mask in Tokyo Ghoul?

You know, I really like Itori's.