only once ✍︎

"Kishou" Jane sobbed into her phone as she used his calm breaths to soothe herself. He hadn't given her any form of comforting since she called him but he simply said:

"Don't worry, I'll be there".

His voice and the tone which seeped into her mind immediately caused a deep, calm breath to exhale through her pursed lips. Jane didn't know what she would do without him.

The drive from the 2nd to the 4th Ward was much longer than when using public transport but still Jane stuck it out. Waiting for Arima was the longest time she had experienced.

In her hand, while she sat on her sofa wrapped up in a thick blanket, was her pregnancy test. Despite the fact it was only a positive sign scrawled upon, it took Jane nearly forever to finally acknowledge the written words: pregnant.

The house creaked with silence, her heartbeat drummed against her ears and terror diffused across her body and paralysed her mind into a numbness.

Arima didn't know what to expect as he unveiled the extra key hidden under the doormat. He simply fondled the brass object in his fingers while he attempted to calm his mind. He was hoping this wasn't real, that his theory was just simply that. He didn't want to watch his only family experience such a thing.

However, once he captured a vulnerable Jane bundled up on the sofa with that plastic stick in her hands, Arima entered with the only expression that could mask his pity.

"I don't know what to do" she openly admitted, her eyes blank as she stared into space.

Sometimes she needed her mum, her sister, God... she would even take Victor if he was the only one. But in this single moment Arima was the best thing for her as she suddenly leapt from her seat and flung her arms tightly around the man's neck.

He'd only seen her cry once and despite the reason behind her tears, the Investigator still managed to snake his arms around her torso and hold her close. Never had Jane Fraser seemed so small and dainty, she had always found a way through but those problems she survived were considered temporary against this harsh reality.

If she waited a little longer and turned a blind eye, Arima was sure the baby would be gone without notice, as if a heavy period. But now the woman knew she appeared like that seventeen-year-old girl who seemed to lose everything too quickly.

"You can get rid of it" he said against her hair, his lips pressed firmly to her head.

"I-I can't" she sobbed, nuzzling her head into his chest.

"You can, eventually it will just go away like a bad dream",

"I c-can't Ki-Kishou, I can't do-do that to h-him" she hiccuped.

"Do you understand what you'll need to do to keep that baby alive?",

"How do you...",

"It's common sense Jane. It needs to obtain Rc cells to survive, not all of them can come from you... you'd have to..." Arima didn't need to continue for Jane to understand.

Instead, she proceeded to nuzzle herself further into her friend, gathering as much warmth she could before sliding her arms from his neck and around her stomach. She could feel her gut settle as a calm-inducing warmth bled through her skin.

If anyone was to look through her windows they would assume it was a couple holding each other silently, if others peered in close enough maybe they'd perceive a picture of parent's to be.

How wrong the outside world was.

How wrong Victor was indeed as he stared wide eyed into the house.