awkward walk ✍︎

Beside from Arima, Jane didn't have anyone to share the news with. She was excited and completely ecstatic that they'd both made it through but, once the Investigator walked toward her desk she realised that despite the joy there was no one to surprise and share it with.

"Investigator Fraser?" A familiar voice suddenly questioned, turning the woman around to see Koutarou Amon before her; his partner nowhere in sight.

"Investigator Amon, it's nice to see you again" she smiled widely, receiving a mirrored expression.

"Yeah, I haven't seen you out on patrols as much, what happened?",

This is my chance, she squealed internally.

"I can't really exert myself at the moment" Jane hinted while somehow keeping her calm against her hammering heart.

"Are you sick? If you are you can always take a vacation, I'm sure Arima wouldn't mind with you being close and all",

"I was actually going to talk to him about it in my lunch break. I can't be fighting ghouls if I'm expecting".

To be honest, it took the male Investigator a moment. Jane had to watch his brows furrow in confusion before they suddenly rose with an unconscious inhale of breath.

"Really? W-Wow, congratulations" Amon praised as he awkwardly tapped Jane on the shoulder as his words diffused into the air, he instantly made the woman chuckle at his stuttering reaction.

"Yeah... it's some good news after Victor at least" she deceived, pulling a somber expression at her dead partner's mention.

"I'm sorry about that, it must be tough not knowing where he is. A body would at least be some closure",

"Seven years of never being able to get him off my back and then he's gone" Jane said softly, building the tension until Amon smiled thickly against the topic of their conversation.

"You know, Takizawa and I were thinking of going out after work to celebrate his promotion, you could always join" Amon asked while scratching his nape.

"You're asking a pregnant woman to go drinking after work?",

"Well- I uh... never thought of it that way",

Jane quietly burst out into giggles at his nervous demeanour, he was so shy as he tried to fix his mistake.

"I'm just joking, I'll be happy to join you",

"Good, see you then".

_________ ✍︎

"Wait, repeat that for me?" Uta ordered through the phone, his voice eerily calm with a hitch of exasperation.

As Jane leaned her head into the phone, wedging it between her shoulder and cheek, she waited for the water boil toward her second coffee of the day. It was just turning four in the afternoon and still the Investigator was on the brink of collapsing in exhaustion, every day nearly felt like a struggle to stay awake.

Jane sighed before echoing her last statement.

"After work Investigator Amon, Takizawa and I are going out for drinks to celebrate the pregnancy and Takizawa's promotion, there's no harm in that" she proceeded to shrug.

"And what if some crazy ghoul decides to rile up a few CCG on their night out?",

"You know that won't happen and if it does I'm sure Amon won't make me fight",