Chapter Forty Five

Word Count: 1612

~Zayla

I should have seen this coming.

She nearly killed me because of her feelings for Fate. Now she has me here, against my will, her intentions not yet that clear. And an angry immortal who is both jealous and meant to spread wrath in her wake someone who's path is one I don't wish to cross. However, here I am, the subject of her anger.

That dark rim around her irises is a reminder of who she truly is. Trapped within that ebony ring, the stunning blue and green that could trick any unaware fool that crosses her path. Perhaps she is stunningly beautiful, her hair today finally conquered, those curls twisted up into a braid upon her head.

"Nothing to say?" Ira asks, that sickening smile having returned. It's only there to taunt me. I know if she plans to kill me, there will be some kind of torture involved first.

I'm not sure what to say that wouldn't anger her. However, I'm not the kind of person to let someone - even a powerful immortal - to step all over me. Even if she is easily upset.

"Don't you have your own mate?" I decide to ask.

Ira pauses, not expecting me to make a reach into her own personal life. Fate never told me anything about Ira, and her personal life. Whether she has a mate, made for her and only her, or not, I can't imagine anyone being able to handle her. Say one word wrong, there as a potential she will have you pinned against the wall begging for your life. And by the expression on her face when I mentioned it, she might be thinking the same thing.

"I've only ever wanted Fate. I don't need a mate," she tells me. I'm surprised she's being honest, but I'm also angered by her desperation for my mate. She's so beautiful, I'm suspicious something may have happened between them before. If so, I can't hold it against him.

"You have one?" I ask tentatively, knowing full well I'm walking across thin glass on this subject. "Or had one?"

Ira's eyes narrow slightly on me, but she seems to be too consumed in thought to lash out at me. She wants me dead, I already know that. But perhaps if I could find out whether she has a mate or not, I could convince her that Fate isn't the one for her. Fate mentioned nothing about Ira and his past relationship. It makes me nervous considering it for too long.

"Yes I had one. I killed him," she tells me, and I swear I see her lip quiver.

I'm taken aback, unsure of what to do or say. She killed him? I shouldn't be surprised. Within Ira's eyes, I can see her blinking back a sheen of tears. This is more serious than I ever imagined. I could hardly imagine living without my mate now, so I can't even begin to fathom how Ira could handle it.

"How?"

Ira looks away, casting a solemn glance out the window. "Because I'm a mess. I'm an immortal with no control over my own powers. My Wrath. And because of that, I have nothing. Nothing but siblings who hate me, and a male who doesn't even want me."

I'm unsure how I managed to make her so emotional, but she suddenly collapses onto the other couch in front of me, bursting into tears.

Luckily, Cian is too busy dealing with his wounds to interrupt us. Tentatively, I lean forward, going over how I should approach this, and what I should say in my head. Something to make her both feel better, and back off away from her obsession with Fate.

"I'm sure it wasn't your fault," I say nervously, while she cries dramatically into her hands. I've never seen an immortal cry, so this is quite the experience. "How long ago did this happen?"