Chapter Sixty

• COMING SOON •To Wattpad and Radish

• COMING SOON •
To Wattpad and Radish

Word Count: 1307

​Lucky slid her chips onto the pass line. The dealer watched as she slid another stack—her odds—just behind it. He nodded to the stick man, who pushed five dice in front of her. Lucky never overthought the dice. She grabbed the two closest to her and chucked them.

​The craps table exploded. She had rolled a ten and everyone who had bet on the pass line had won.

​"Nice, shooter!" a man in a Hawaiian shirt yelled, raking his chips toward him.

​Lucky smiled as the dice were passed to her again. The crowd around the table buzzed, with more pressing in to see what the commotion was. When she gambled, everyone around her always did well. Unless they were playing against her.

​She felt the dice's edges roll against her palm, warm and comfortable. Maybe that was her payback for being dumped on the doorstep of the fire department as an infant. Maybe her luck was the universe giving her odds. She leaned forward and felt her necklace swing against her chest. She wondered, as she often did, if her real parents were lucky, too.

​She rolled again—another ten—and the crowd went wild. The dealer smiled ruefully as the stick man raked her winnings toward her. She eyed the pile, gathering them up. She dumped them into her backpack, ready to call it a night, when she felt a hand on her arm.

​"Don't tell me you're leaving already, darlin'," a tall man said, falling into step with her as she walked away from the table.

​She ignored the crowd as they called her back, pulling her arm out of his light grasp. "Fun's gotta end sometime."

​"You were my lucky rabbit's foot tonight," the man said. He was young, around her age, with a tan face and light-colored eyes. He spoke with a twang that sounded a bit like music. "I won every time you rolled. I've been playing craps for years and I've never won as much as I did tonight."

​"Congratulations," Lucky said.

​The man caught Lucky's arm again and spun her around to look at him, a crooked smile curving his mouth. "Let me buy you a drink, hun, as a thank you."

***

​"Hey, Seff, if you could tear your eyes way from the stripper, our actual target is right there," Nico said.

​"She's not a stripper, Nico. She's a dancer," Seff said, haughtily, as he pulled his eyes away from the bikini clad woman dancing on a raised stage behind them.