Chapter Sixty Five

​Fate glanced over at the bartender and, without lifting a finger, summoned her to him. "A scotch, please. The best you have," he said.

​"Someone is sitting in that seat," Lucky said, faintly, watching him.

​"Yes," his smile made her eyes widen. "I am."
​She looked at him for a moment. "Why do I have a feeling you showing up here isn't a coincidence?"

​The bartended slid the dark golden scotch toward him. "Some call it coincidence, I call it fate." He smiled again. "I'm here to see you."
​Lucky was surprised for a moment before she laughed. "Does that line ever work?"

​He raised his eyebrows. "It hasn't failed me yet."

​She shook her head. Her eyes were warm with laughter. "Okay, I'll bite. Tell me more."

​He shrugged, airily. "What's to know?"​

​"Yeah, that's true. Undefeated poker player, mysterious self-made millionaire, smoking hot—I mean, who cares, really?" she asked, sardonically, taking a sip of her beer.

​Fate focused his energy on her again, trying to read her. He was trying to see something, but there was nothing. He could feel her energy beside him. He just couldn't separate it out. What were images with other people were only colorless blurs on her.

​He cast his mind further out, trying to read the bartender, then the couple by the bathroom. These people too were voids where he ought to see fates. He took a deep breath, trying not to let this shake him. "Perhaps we could use a little air," he said, downing the rest of his scotch and standing up.

​Lucky glanced back toward the bathroom. The man in the flannel shirt must have disappeared out a side door. "I think my date will be coming back soon."

​He sat back down. "Then I'll buy you both drinks while we wait." He looked up at the gray-haired bartender and gestured to the glasses on the bar. "Another round of the same?"

​The bartender delivered the drinks—an imported beer for Lucky and a domestic for the guy, with a shot. ​

​As they waited, Lucky grew more agitated. She glanced back toward the bathroom, then around at the rest of the bar, scanning the faces. After ten more minutes she downed the man's shot. Ten minutes after that she sighed and dropped her head onto her arms.

​"He's not coming back, obviously," Lucky said, her voice muffled. "Which is not the least bit humiliating."

​Fate felt a twinge of guilt at the sight of Lucky crumpled on the bar top. He reached for her hand and gave it a small tug. "Let's get out of here."​

​She looked up, her blue eyes wide, assessing him. After a moment, during which he held his breath, she nodded, and followed him out.

***

​When the last scared footstep disappeared around the corner, Zaid shifted back into human form. He stood, breathing hard, clutching the brick wall behind him for support. He looked over, where the other werewolf was shifting back to human form.
​She was leaned over, breathing hard. Both of their shredded clothing littered the ground. The other werewolf, from the shape of her long, perfect legs, was a woman. His eyes traveled from her legs upward, his eyes taking their time up her flat stomach, the curved outline of her ribs beneath soft tawny skin, small, perfect breasts and a long, regal neck. When he saw her face, his jaw dropped.

​"Nico?" he breathed.

​She stared back, her eyes wide. Like in that moment in the motel, the air between them was electrified. But this time, they were both naked, and very aware of it. Nico's eyes flicked down as Zaid grew ever more aware of the proximity of Nico's perfect body to his own. She bit her lip, then, with difficulty, looked away from him. "I had someone with me," she said, faintly.