Chapter 1: "Connection"

{ELEVEN MONTHS LATER}

Syspocalypstar crumbled, and became shrouded in darkness. Every brick lost its color, and crumbled into dust.

What stood before Rex Dangervest was no longer his bright and colorful home. It was the ruins of it.

The wind was so rough, he couldn't move through it. A dark fog obscured his vision, and he panicked, as he called out to his beloved.

"Starlight! Star!"

The harsh breeze caused his steel-toed boots to scrape against the cracked street, and he grabbed a nearby lamppost to keep himself from going back further.

The light above suddenly tinted to a deep purple color, and the Prince's eyes widened, as he looked around the area.

"...Everton?"

The wind continued, until he finally heard a voice. One that sent shivers through him.

"Do you like your 'perfect future', Dangervest?"

"Shut up! This is not my future! This will never happen, no matter how many times you show it to me!"

"You are a fool. You could never hope to defeat what I am. You are just a human. I am more than that."

The lamppost disappeared from Rex's grasp, and the force of the wind pushed him into a nearby building. He groaned, as the area lit up in a purple hue.

"This is the future you have yet to experience. You will be destroyed. All of you will. Then I will take what should be mine."

A fear arised in Rex's heart.

The fear of losing everything all over again.

The Villain's laughter echoed out loudly, as the surrounding world became as dark as a starless night.

—————————————

The Defender's eyes shot open when he was awoken by the sound of a baby's cries. He blinked tiredly, and moved his head against his pillow.

He was a bit dazed from the intense nightmare he had awoken from, but quickly reminded himself of his priorities.

He shifted his gaze to an electric monitor on his bedside table, where a screen displayed a clear image of his infant son. Rex Dangervest Junior. Nicknamed 'RJ'.

Rex gave off the pure aura of an exhausted parent. His messy hair, and tired eyes were proof of his sleepless nights.

"He's awake again." Marie sounded suddenly, waking up from her own slumber. "Who's turn is it? I'm not really keeping track."

"I'll take care of him. You sleep."

"Are you sure, Honey? I feel like you haven't been getting enough sleep."

"Yeah. Don't worry about me. You need your rest. I was...having a weird dream anyway."

He kissed her forehead lovingly, and pulled the soft sheets off of himself. Despite his exhausted body weighing him down, the new father got out of his comfortable bed, and tended to the cries of  his child.

Just as he left the room, his wife sat up, and glanced at the baby monitor. Her gaze softened at the sight of her baby boy.

He was still small, but not as small as he was when they first brought him home. The Princess rested her head on her hand, and gushed over his cuteness.

"Almost three months already, Baby?" She sighed, "Can't you stay little and cute forever?"

—————————————