Act 2 Chapter 5: Sorrow

Rex paced Watevra's palace, being in charge of the details that could help the palace staff find RJ. Elliott out of sight, since he was out helping everyone else.

The palace lounge area was quiet, and Marie grew nervous watching her husband worry.
"Honey, come sit down."

"I can't. I need to move around."
Marie frowned, "You're still healing from your injury, you can't be moving around all the time. You need to rest."

"You care about me too much."
"Because I love you so much." Marie stood up. She walked up to Rex, touching his stubble.

"My love, I'm just as worried as you...but we need to stay strong. RJ's going to feel bad when he realizes how worried we were, and it's not his fault."

Rex looked to the side, "Maybe you're right. I'm just...bad under pressure."

"I know you are." Marie showed a small smile, "But I didn't fall in love with you just because I thought you were perfect. I love you, even as stressed as you can get. Think about your health. I can't have you getting sick again."

Rex touched Marie's hand, taking a deep breath.

"I'm...just not okay."
"You will be, after all this is over."

Marie hugged him, leaning into his chest. His warmth brought her so much comfort.

"I'm the only one who will ever truly know you, my love. I know you're the strongest person ever. You've survived Undar, Armamageddon, ceasing to exist. You're so cute, and super cool. My tough guy."

Rex smiled, kissing her forehead.
"What would I do without you?"

The doors of the lounge room opened. Emmet and Lucy walking in, with Faith not far behind them. "Mommy, it's really not a big deal."
"No, it is!"

Lucy stepped up to Rex, pointing her finger.
"You let the kids go out and play by themselves?! Are you crazy?!"

"Lucy, shh!" Emmet hushed, "Calm down, please."

"I thought they'd be safe, Lucy!" Rex argued, "When's the last time a kid has been kidnapped in Syspocalypstar? Besides, everyone knows RJ's my son. They know what would happen if they messed with me."

"You're so reckless! Rex, you only think about yourself. My daughter could have gotten hurt!"
Rex stepped closer, "My son is actually missing and you're worried about Faith?! She's okay!"

"You two are always fighting. Stop it." Marie sounded, "Wyldstyle, if you're going to blame Rex, blame me too. This is horrible behavior."

Emmet touched Lucy's shoulder, "Babe, Rex couldn't have known Zeke would do this. Zeke was only interested in Elliott."

"It's true." Marie said, "Elliott said we should wait here until one of the guards came to update us. He wasn't sure why Zeke would want RJ either."

"And Faith is okay, Lucy." Emmet stated, "We should be thankful nothing happened to her. RJ is still our family, we should be more worried about him right now."

"Fine, yeah, you're right. I care about RJ too."

Rex lowered his eyebrows, "Really? Do ya?"
"She was just worried about Faith. Let's stop this tension, okay?"

Rex nodded, "I'm sorry, Lucy. It's just...hard to really like you, I guess. After everything that happened."

"I get it. I'm sorry too." Lucy apologized.

"Guys, hey." Elliott sounded suddenly.

The group turned to face him as he entered the room. He was visibly worried, and stood nervously.