Chapter 3: "A Dark Future"

The slight crackle of a magically lit fireplace echoed throughout an eerie silence. It was the only source of light in the area, where darkness seemed to triumph over the light.

The Princess of Stardust groaned quietly, finally stirring from a period of unconsciousness. Her body was strangely sore, and exhausted from the struggle with Elliott.

After a while, she opened her eyes, and blinked, as they focused on the room she was in. She looked on in a slight confusion.

The surrounding room was familiar. Too familiar.

It was as if she was reliving a moment from her childhood all over again. She examined the fireplace, furniture, and many shelves of books, before finally pushing herself up to a seated position.

"Ah..." She rubbed her temple, "What happened? I don't remember passing out. He must have...knocked me out with his magic."

She looked down at the couch she was laying on, and gently traced her fingertips over the fancy embroidery.

It was pink, and lined with gold. She soon recognized it as the very couch where her husband first confessed his love to her.

"Is this...my castle?" She paused, "No, this is impossible. It's...not in Stardust anymore. There's no way this could be it. But then...what is it?"

She looked at the seat next to her, and she frowned, touching it gently. She was reminded of her worried husband.

"Honey...I have to get out of here."

Marie quickly got up from the couch, and ran towards the room door. Her heels clicked through the quiet room as she did so.

She pulled at the handle, but it didn't open. The door itself barely jiggled with the force of her pulling. With it locked up tight, she couldn't leave as easily as she hoped.

"Aww, come on."

"I did as you asked."

Elliott's voice suddenly sounded. Though it was muffled and distant, she heard every word clearly.

"Huh? That's..."

She leaned against the door, hoping to hear him better. She grew quiet, as her concentration became fixated on her enemy and his plans.

"But why must I do this?" He continued, "What is this going to achieve? You have all you need."

"You are wrong, Elliott." A strangely familiar voice echoed, "I want Rex to come to me, and this is the only guarantee that he will do so."

The Princess pressed herself further into the door, "Wait, who is that? I can't make it out yet."

Elliott groaned in frustration, "Your demands were clear. I bring you...her, and in return you would join in marriage with me. Wasn't that what you offered?"

"Oh, was that what I said? Well, maybe I fibbed to get what I wanted. So what? You may have given me power, and I owe you plenty..."

The person Elliott was talking to walked closer to him, and her heels clicked loudly against the tiles.

It was then that the Princess could hear her clearly.

"But I never said that I loved you. You're just not my type. Rex is my husband. My...true love."

Marie gasped, growing tense. She clenched her fist against the door, and shivered from the shock.

"That's...my voice..."

It was her voice. There was no mistaking it. However, her tone was no longer gentle and sweet.

It was evil.