Chapter 8: "The Facility"

Rex growled in frustration, and slammed his fists down hard on the booth in front of him. He nearly broke it, but hardly cared.

"This is rigged!" He yelled, pointing at the man running the game booth.

It was a toss game, where you had to hit at least ten targets with a ball, in the span of a minute.

"Rigged games aren't allowed, Your Highness. I regret to say that you just...didn't win."

"I purchased an unlimited family pass for this park, so I'm not leaving until I win!" Rex reached his hand forward, "Set me up again."

The booth attendant chuckled nervously, and waved his hands. "Your Highness, I can clearly see that you tried your best. Why don't you pick out a prize? My treat."

"No! You don't understand! I need to win!"

"Honey." Marie grabbed his arm, "It's probably a good idea to take a break."

She held a colorful plate, with a nearly finished caramel funnel cake. She lifted her fork again, grabbing another piece.

"Why don't we sit down for a while, and just enjoy the scenery? Without the kids around, it could be like a mini date."

Rex thought about it. He didn't want to be a loser, but some quality time with his wife sounded much better.

He sighed, "Okay, why don't you pick out a prize? I was really trying to win something for you."

Marie hummed, observing all of the prizes hanging from the booth. There was a vast variety of plush toys, keychains, and little plastic items.

"Hmm, what would you have picked for me?"

The Prince observed the prizes, and finally noticed something that he thought his wife would enjoy.

He pointed to a keychain of a plush pink cat, with a hot pink bow tie.

"I'd choose that one."
Marie smiled, "Then I'll take that one! I absolutely love it!"

The booth attendant picked up the small keychain, and handed it to Marie.

"There you go, Your Highness."

"Thank you." Marie put the keychain in her dress pocket, "Shall we go, Honey?"

"Yeah, okay."

"I was hoping you'd let Rex suffer a little more." Lucy chuckled, walking over to the couple with her husband.

"Ah, you saw nothing!" The Prince pointed at her.
"I saw everything."

"Whatever, you probably can't beat this either." He looked around, "It's almost lunchtime, can you go find the kids for us?"

"Sure! We can do that!"

While Emmet and Lucy went to search for RJ and Faith, Marie and Rex sat down at a nearby picnic table.

"I really need to finish this." She poked at her funnel cake, "The whipped cream is melting."

"Can I have a bite?"
"You can have several if you want. This was actually a pretty big serving."

The Princess picked up a piece of funnel cake with her fork, and turned it towards her husband. He bit onto it, taking the piece into his mouth.

He processed the flavor, "Mmm, that's good!"
"Isn't it?! I hope they stay here forever." Marie put another forkful in her mouth.

From there, her and Rex took turns with their bites, until the cake was finally finished.

Afterwards, Marie stood up, throwing the paper plate and fork into the nearby trash can. She dusted off her hands, before turning back to her husband.