Chapter 21

Dave's party was everything he could have wished for: friends, husband, food and alcohol. What more could he want? The answer seemed obvious to Todoroki's eyes: nothing. Dave was a lucky man; he had to admit.

Izuku and he were finally going home: two lovers walking down lonely roads at three in the morning. Todoroki was tipsy and Izuku was extremely serious for someone who had just gotten out of a party. The lights of the city started to gleam, showing their amber color. They shined against the bubble they built.

He remembered those night spent walking around the city, the morsels of the cold engulfing them. It felt like fire, flames swirling around their bodies. Was this love? Was this life? It was, at that time it was. Because you see, life was a miracle for the both of them; they craved someone and that someone did appear in the form of a body. Izuku was head over heels, he was. However, something started to break through the wall, a plant putting down its roots, settling down in the creaks of their bond.

What was he thinking? – Todoroki said to himself, as he watched his brows furrow and his hand beyond reach.

Truth was that something did happen during that party, more like a sentence whispered in his ear: "Look at him, that guy is going to be the death of me" Todoroki had said while finishing his third glass of iced whiskey. Izuku was a writer, he played with words and he knew how powerful they could be.

Those words found a cozy nest inside his mind and made themselves at home: Izuku found himself at a loss of words. May it be the alcohol?

Now Todoroki was looking for his hand and just found it, entwining their fingers Izuku thought what a perfect boyfriend he had. Was it perfect? Izuku still loved him and the road made the setting so lovely. He might have imagined those words. Izuku started doubting himself: he was second guessing everything he would say, so he started to doubt his love for him too as a newspaper showed something he wish he would never see.

It was ten in the morning and a photo of Todoroki and Kaminari was showed as a cover of Lovely Boy's Magazine. Izuku got up, that morning he wanted to show him the first copy of his new book.

Todoroki peeked inside the kitchen and all he could hear were shouts of a lonely creature, a wounded animal. A book threw towards him and its pages spread onto the pavement.

"You know what? I thought I was in love, but you made me doubt all the words that came out of my mouth. I would feel guilty for voicing my opinion, second-guessing everything. Therefore, I started to doubt my love for you too. This photo shows that I am right."

"Izuku..."

"Stop, don't come near me, I can't be trusted around you. Marco told me you were a cheater; maybe you still are."

"I..."

"Don't tell me you don't love him; I saw his eyes and I saw you. How you danced with him yesterday night... you never looked at me with such desperation in your eyes, with such bravery. I was always a safe haven for your ship to dock. Nevertheless, you know what? The things you said... I should have known before... I guess I don't need this anymore"

He said as he grabbed a little box from his back pocket.

"I wanted to marry you Shouto... I wanted to ask it the moment I showed you my new book. I guess I was wrong all the time"

Todoroki cried; he did not knew if it was because he wanted to marry him or because he is now leaving him again... as Marco did long before. He reached for the pages sprawled on the ground. The cover was ruined but he saw: