You Remember Me?

"Nae? I mean, Dae?" Jinyoung questioned while shaking his head in disbelief, his fluffy black hair moving in sync.

"Yeah..." Dae replied slowly. "What the hell are you doing in a place like this?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" Jinyoung deadpanned, his jaw agape still.
"I asked first."
"Well," Jinyoung began, slowly collecting his thoughts. "Jackson Wang, do you know him?"

"Yeah, he and I go way back."

"He's my mentor, of a sort."

"How so?" Dae questioned, tilting her head to the side.

"Apparently, my mother was in the mafia under JYP's control. She and Jackson were assigned partners until the very end."
"Very end?" Dae interrupted.

"Yes. My mother was killed by a rival gang during their final mission together. Jackson survived, of course. JYP informed him about me and my sister, and he felt a responsibility to take care of us because he couldn't take care of my mom. He didn't want to show his face to us, I'm still not sure why, but bills were always paid, there was always someone there to drive us to school, and groceries were always in the fridge."

Dae smiled happily at the thought of one of her childhood friends helping out someone just because of the kindness of his heart.

"So how did you find out about his career, then?"

"He appeared at the front door one day. Scared the shit out of Ji and me. But he sat us down and told us everything. He also explained how he won't be able to take care of Ji and me one day and that it was my responsibility from then on out."

"So you joined this school to protect Ji?"

Jinyoung nodded his head sharply. "Jackson is like my father, with lots of tough love."

"That's Jackson for you." She giggled, remembered how he 'lost' in Mario Kart, and tickled her until her giggles could be heard from miles away.

"What about you, though?" Jinyoung questioned. "How did you end up here?"

"Well, I've always been in the mafia," Dae confessed.

"You have?"

Dae nodded. "But my fathers say I need more training in order the join them officially."

"So your family is in the mafia?"

"Heard of Stray Kids?" Dae teased quietly, leaning in close.

Jinyoung immediately backed up, his face going red. "Your fathers are Stray Kids?"

"Not too loud!" Dae hushed, clamping a hand over his mouth.

"I've heard they're heartless killers that murder everything they see."

Dae shook her head, used to the stereotype everyone gave her fathers. "They aren't heartless. They seem like it, but I won't ever agree to that."

"Well, do you know all the other groups under JYP's control?"

"I grew up with all of them. Most of them used to babysit me."

The young trainee's eye widened to saucers. "You're kidding right?"

"Nope," Dae answered, popping the 'P' sound.

"You must be really skilled in combat then."

"I guess you could say that. I regularly spar with Han and Changbin."

"Oh! Speaking of which, what did you get on your placement test?"

"Placement test? I didn't take a test."