get back up again

She was going to KILL him.

Hope Van Dyne pressed play and listened to the message again, lips curling into a snarl when the familiar voice rolled through the empty living room.

"Hey, hi Hope! It's Scott. Ah. Listen. I know we had dinner plans tonight, and are supposed to help your dad with the Wasp suit and the Quantum tests and all that tomorrow, but...uh. Something's come up. Nothing bad! Just....hey, remember that guy I met at the Stark warehouse? The one that wasn't really a warehouse? It was the new Avenger Compound, and I met Falcon! I told you about Falcon, right? Called me Tic Tac? Yeah, he's cool. And he needs my help! Something about Stark being a dick, which according to your dad isn't surprising, am I right? Anyway. Falcon needs me to help Captain America! Captain America, Hope, I mean. Wow. It's Cap. And he wants ME to help him, can you believe it? Something about national security, and yeah. Captain America.

So, ah. I'm really sorry, but I gotta miss dinner. And probably lab time tomorrow. But I should be back after that! We can catch up and have dinner then? Oh, and maybe I can get Cap to sign an autograph or something for you! Man, that'd be cool. Unless it's weird. Do you think it's weir—-"

The message cut off. Hope let out a curse and threw the phone at the muted television. It bounced off the TV with a satisfying thunk, hitting the reporter directly on the face, and fell to the floor. The captions scrolling across the bottom of the TV announced that several Avengers had been arrested at the Leipzig airport, including one Scott Lang.

She was going to kill him.

The front door behind her opened and her father, Hank, stepped in. "Hey honey," he said absently, moving toward the kitchen. "Is Scott still meeting us tomorrow? I have a few adjustments to the suit I need to make and thought I'd test them out while he's around."

He didn't glance at the TV once. Hope slid her eyes at it in time to see Scott's face fill the screen, making her gnash her teeth together in a silent scream.

"Hope? Did you hear me at all?" Her father stepped back into the living room with a coffee mug in his hand. "Are you napping with your eyes open, what——"

He cut off, eyes narrowing on the TV. "That's Scott."

"Yes, it is." Hope said between clenched teeth.

"Why is Scott on the—-" he stopped again when footage of Scott being handcuffed in the Ant Man suit flickered onto the screen. Hysteria bubbled up in Hope's throat. Her boyfriend, wearing her fathers tech, was being arrested by Tony Stark.

Surely she was stuck in a nightmare.

They had to leave. Immediately. It wouldn't take long for them to figure out who made the Ant Man suit, for them to know that Hank Pym and Pym Technology was responsible. She didn't have time to tolerate questions or give some stupid Secretary of State her allegiance to the ridiculous Accords.

The Quantum Realm, and her mother's life, was on the line.

For a moment, neither Hank nor Hope spoke. Then Hank slammed his coffee mug onto an end table and snarled, "I'm gonna kill him!"

"Hope? Hi. Um. I'm guessing you saw the news by now...and you know what happened. I'm sorry. Hope, I'm so sorry, I never would have left and helped out if I had known how it all would have ended...well, maybe I would have helped Cap, but I swear I wouldn't have done anything else and I definitely wouldn't have gotten arrested wearing the Ant-Man suit---"

"No response for my calls or texts, huh? I guess that's to be expected. Have I mentioned that I'm sorry? I am. I'm so sorry, Hope. I've got a trial coming up to see if I can get a pardon, maybe get out and get on house arrest. Gosh, I miss you and Cassie. Have I told you how sorr——"