let's stay together

The first time it happened, Scott was reasonably certain that the universe had momentarily ceased to exist, or at least, that's what it felt like. All the air had been sucked out of the room, everything went mind-numbingly silent, and out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Hank turning an alarmingly violent shade of red. Well, THAT can't be good, he thought.

"Oh!" Janet finally said after a minute too long. Hank was now purple.

So, Scott did what any reasonable person would do (that's what he told himself, anyway) and promptly stood, hauled his daughter up by the armpits before she could finish her bite of mashed potatoes, and practically carried her to the front door. "This-was-great-we-should-really-do-this-again-sometime-okay-bye!" he blurted out, tripping over his own feet in his attempt to pull on his shoes and jacket at the same time.

"Scott?" Hope was half-skeptical, half-concerned, as she often was when it came to Scott's...Scott-ness, but before she could get up and follow him, the door slammed shut. She glanced over at Hank; his knuckles were white. "...did Cassie just call you 'grandpa'?"

"Don't," Hank grouched. The color in his face was slowly returning to normal, but he was still clutching his steak knife with a worryingly vice-like grip. Janet patted his hand consolingly before resuming her dinner like nothing had happened.

Hope texted Scott the moment dinner was over, reassuring him that it wasn't as bad as he thought - Hank had only ranted for three minutes about being anyone's grandfather, then Janet interrupted to remind him of his age - but Scott's reply was an uncharacteristically curt response about arriving late at the laboratory tomorrow morning. It was only because of Hope's good memory that she remembered that it was because Maggie and Paxton were picking up Cassie from Scott's place, and not that Scott decided to preemptively berate himself at home before joining them to work on the latest iteration of suits.

Janet, who was still getting used to an adult daughter and not the child she'd unintentionally left behind, hovered in worry, fretting over Hope's shoulder at Scott's message. "Seriously, Mom, it's okay," Hope repeated for the fifth time while she put her jacket on, preparing to leave for the night. "I'm not seven or sixteen, remember? Nothing to worry about. Scott's just a little...excitable."

"That's one way of putting it," Hank grumbled from the sitting room. Despite her best efforts, Hope couldn't help but roll her eyes like a child.

"Bye, Dad," she called, kissing Janet briefly on the cheek before walking out the door.

The next morning, Scott arrived even later than he said he was going to be, looking just as agitated as he'd sounded last night. "Hope, I swear, I didn't say anything about - "

"I'm sure you didn't," she said calmly. "Besides, he's probably forgotten all about it."

"I haven't." Hank emerged from behind one of the enormous machines, startling Scott. "Did you - "

"Nope!" Scott said a little too quickly. "Hank, I would never - "

"Does she call her anything?" Hank wildly brandished his pen in Hope's direction. She fixed him with a stern expression in return, plucking the pen from his hand and neatly tucking it into the breast pocket of his sweater vest.

"Henry," Janet called from across the room.

"I already told you she doesn't," Hope said exasperatedly. "Can we focus, please?"

"Grandpa," Hank muttered under his breath as he returned to his workbench, where Janet gave him a playful poke for his troubles.

"For the record, I think Mom was secretly thrilled," Hope whispered to Scott. He snickered in relief.