like your mind is melting

She could feel it.

Everything, bending and breaking around her, the very foundations of reality snapping like a thin twig as she went further and further subatomic.

Her particles were now shrinking down, the space between them already crushed away and lost to the void. But even then the segments of reality tried to grab her and hold her captive, wanting to clutch her in their incorporeal hands. If she had to describe it, it was like being trapped in a cave-in, rocks and boulders pressing against her body and slowly pushing in, making the miniscule area of air smaller and smaller as gravity forced them to tumble down and draw closer together, unknowing and uncaring of the human being stuck between them.

But nevertheless, she struggled against the weight, slowly moving to try and fix her regulator, to let her grow back to normal size, to let her see her husband and daughter. How she wanted to tightly hug both of them, to cover both with kisses and tell them that she loved them, that she and Hank would never go on another last minute business trip and just stay with them forever and ever in their home of victorian brick and oak wood.

But that wish was quickly lost as her body once again broke through a singular piece of dust, the sound of tearing cloth roaring in the unknown dimension, pounding against her already broken ears.

She was still spinning, far too fast for her mind and balance to comprehend. It left her sick as all she could see were black and red strings and mirror-like atoms whizzing past and around her, colliding against and wrapping around her body. Sometimes they would simply faze through with a buzz she could hardly hear, the sharp sound of her plastic and vibranium wings slicing through the thickened components of oxygen and nitrogen all-encompassing.

And the pressure slowly grew worse and worse and worse as she shrunk and spun and broke once again through the fabric of reality, still meagerly attempting to fix and mend around the foreign appearance that was Janet Van Dyne.

Only then did she realized how it crushed her lungs, how she couldn't breathe anymore. She began to spasm in pain, trying to get what little air she could get between the thin moments her body would adapt to the sudden pressure, her muscle, bone and sinew now strong enough grow. But then the intensity would spike once again, and she would be left to choke and suffer.

She doesn't know when, but she swore she could hear her bones cracking and breaking before forming back once again. But she felt no pain, not even the slightest prick against her skin. Has she really... moved that far? Far enough to pass the realm of touch, of space and reality itself? She wondered as she felt her vision slowly darken and as her body grew weaker and weaker with what little blood that could travel through the shrunken vessels, if eventually the pressure would crush her heart instead. Would she feel it, or would she just suddenly cease to exist, unknowing that she had indeed died traveling between the mesh of all matter?

But the question would never be answered, as bright shifting colors and crushing sound burst around her, as she suddenly stopped spinning, as she lay still on an unexpected floor that rolled around her, like sound waves slowly rolling over the light and gravity.

She gasped, and felt nothing, as she unhappily expected. She could not feel the pulsating and shifting ground beneath her as she sat up, could not feel her own body as she once again tried to turn her regulator back on. She ignored the sparks that singed through the gloves of her suit and burned her fingers red, for there was no feeling to draw her away in pain from her desperate task.

It was after the eight spark, after the skin had charred away to reveal raw muscle and fresh blood that she finally gave up, falling into a fetal position as she cried. She couldn't wipe away the tears, for she couldn't feel where they fell, or where her hands were as she clutched and pulled at her hair, screaming and wailing.