cookie duster

He woke up feeling cold, his face buried deep into the soft pillow, his eyes still closed. His first instinct wasn't to grab the covers that was strewn halfway across his body, instead, his hand had stretched out to his side, searching for a familiar warmth but was greeted by the same coldness. He could hear the sound of a running shower from the bathroom, he frowned, and opened his heavy eyes with slight difficulty, and glanced at the clock on the bedside table. He sighed and climbed out from bed, his palms rubbing his face to wake himself up, as he headed towards the bathroom. "Morning!", he greeted loudly as he stepped into the bathroom, his lips curving up into a small smile. He grabbed a clean towel and wrapped it around his waist.

"Morning!", a muffled sound echoed from inside the shower. "I bought you a new shaver."

"What? You don't like my beard?", he hollered back, as he observed his face in the mirror. For the past few months, he had been growing a beard. It was a silly challenge with Luis, they were competing against each other, comparing who could outlast who without shaving the beard off and finally his best friend had caved in yesterday, leaving Scott the winner. His beard was bushy and it covered half of his face, making him look older than he really was.

The sound of the shower stopped, and Hope peeked out. "I think it's time you graduated from the beard Scott.", she frowned slightly. It was too much for her liking. "Could you please pass me the towel?"

"Come on, you can come out, it's only me.", he turned to look at her, who was looking all pink and sweet-smelling from the shower. God, she's beautiful. They had been married for a few years, and yet he couldn't stop marvelling at her beauty. "It's not like I've never seen you without any clothes on before.", he mischievously wiggled his eyebrows at her.

She glared at him, her lips pursed.

Not wanting to suffer from her wrath, he kept his mouth shut and did as he was told, but not before wrapping his arms around her waist, a goofy smile plastered on his face. She couldn't help but giggle as he dipped his head down slightly and gave her a kiss. Her slightly parted lips met his, and she kissed him back. He responded passionately, inhaling in her shampoo and shower cream while she knotted her fists at the towel around his waist, pulling him harder against her. He was about to take his towel off when she pulled away from him, and patted his cheek. "You really need to shave. It's getting in the way.", she bit her lip, trying to suppress a smile. "And thanks.", she took the towel from him and gave him a flirtatious glance, wrapped herself in it and walked out the bathroom.

He looked at her with disbelief. She was such a tease.

"Scott?", she called out to him from the bedroom.

"Yeah?", once again, he had turned to the mirror, ready to shave.

"When you're done can you please check on Hailey? She was still asleep when I saw her."

"Sure. I'll get her."

"Is dad finally going to shave his beard?", Cassie asked as soon as she saw Hope entering the kitchen. She was standing in front of the stove, pouring batter into a pan, making pancakes for breakfast. It was the summer break, and she had come to stay with her father and Hope for the week.

"Yes he's in the process of doing that, hopefully.", a laugh escaped from Hope, as she walked to her stepdaughter's side and poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Honestly, he looks like a homeless man with the beard.", the younger girl giggled.

"I couldn't agree more. And it's getting uncomfortable when we kiss---", she stopped herself halfway, a pink blush appearing on her cheeks.

"Hope!", Cassie gasped, disgusted. She didn't really need to know the details.

She laughed, ignoring the young girl's reaction. "You need help?"