Chapter-2

Edward's POV

"Who are they?"

My head turned to the left and I searched for the unfamiliar voice.

"The Cullens," Angela Weber, a mind I was more familiar with, answered.

"They're Doctor and Mrs. Cullen's foster ki…" Oh, you idiot! She's a foster kid! She'll probably think I'm a jerk if I badmouth them. Then she'll leave and Mike won't talk to me anymore- I stopped tuning into Jessica Stanley's mindless chatter.

"Foster kids?" The voice asked.

"Uh, yeah," Jessica sputtered.

I finally spotted the girl seated next to Jessica. Her brown eyes locked onto mine before she looked away.

"It's alright. You don't have to tiptoe around me."

The girls let out mental sighs of relief.

"See, they moved down from Alaska a few years ago."

"They kind of keep to themselves."

Jessica piped up, "Because they're together! Like together-together."

"They're not related, Jess," Angela defended.

Jessica spread her hands over the table. "See, there were five of them, but the other three graduated last year; Emmett Cullen and Rosalie and Jasper Hale. Emmett and Rosalie were like a thing. Jasper and Alice," She turned around and pointed towards my favourite sister, "They're really close. Jasper visits her after school every day. I'm not even sure that's legal."

"They're both adults, Jess," Angela defended, again.

"Doctor Cullen's like this foster dad slash matchmaker," Jessica continued, oblivious.

"Maybe he'll adopt me," Angela said, trying to be funny.

"What about him?" I tried to find the girl's mind, but…nothing.

Oh, good luck, idiot! "That's Edward Cullen. He's totally gorgeous, but I guess none of the girls around here a good enough for him." My cheek lifted in response to the petty girl's remark. It was a relief not to have to deal with her annoying fantasies. If she'd known what would've happened if my teeth were that close to her, that would've ended her thoughts rather quickly. "Like I care, you know?" Jessica continued, trying to save face. "So, don't waste your time." Fat lot of good that will do her. She's not even that pretty. I don't understand why everyone is staring. Even Mike…

"I wasn't planning on it," the girl, Bella Logan I finally realized, replied. She was Charlie Swan's new charge, his flighty ex-wife's foster child. I could only imagine how much of a disturbance she would make. Small towns had a tendency to talk.

She turned around in her seat and stared at me. I stared right back, trying to get a read on her mind.

Nothing.

I took my seat in Biology, preparing for another hour in purgatory. The students around me were consumed with thoughts of Bella Logan, as she had corrected everyone. They thought about her motorcycle; I found myself somewhat envious of that, but mostly they discussed her story. They cited abuse or abandonment as reasons for her status.