Chapter-14

Bella's POV

"I believe there has been a misunderstanding…" Carlisle began.

I brushed past him and marched up to Billy. "It's not what you think, alright? I can explain everything."

The biggest, black-furred wolf suddenly ran back into the woods. A shiver went up my spine and my hair stood on end. A second later, Sam Uley stepped out from behind a tree and crossed his arms.

"Okay, start explaining."

Oh, crap…vapour lock.

I'd never been good at public speaking. I opened my mouth and then closed it. I couldn't think of any way to begin.

"Could I…maybe talk to Jacob?"

"He doesn't want to talk to you."

Wow, anger clears up vapour lock. Who knew?

I narrowed my eyes at the russet-brown wolf. "Oh, you don't, huh? And why is that?"

Jacob's eyes darted to my ring, and then to Edward.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, don't be such a racist."

He growled lowly in my direction. Edward took a step forward and placed a hand on my shoulder. This only made Jacob angrier. "He's young, Bella, unstable."

I could almost hear Jacob's mental shout of, 'I'll show you unstable', a second before he launched himself at Edward.

In half that time, I had him on the ground.

Jacob's wolf-eyes were wide as they stared at the sharp claws just inches from his face. My left hand was wrapped around his throat and my knees dug into his enormous chest.

"Jacob," I said, trying to stay calm. "I didn't come here to start a fight. I'm here to resolve a misunderstanding. So chill out!" I let my claws sink back into my knuckles and backed away. I looked at Billy's wide eyes. "I told you it's not what you think. I'm not in any danger when I'm around them and nobody's planning to bite me. That wouldn't work anyway," I added.

I saw that the wolves were still frozen from my attack on Jake. They looked at my hands wearily and Jacob got to his feet…all four of them. Sam unfolded his arms and stepped forward. "What are you?"

I felt Jasper send out a wave of calm over us. I took a deep breath. "I don't know."

"You don't know?" Sam asked. I could sense his distrust.

"Sam," Billy scolded. "Let her speak." I saw his dark eyes were filled with wonder.

Sam grudgingly backed off.

"Thank you," I said. "Like I said, I don't know what I am, but I can tell you what I can do if it means you'll leave the Cullens alone."

I looked at Billy. Even from his wheelchair, I could sense the power he held over the others. He nodded. "We don't want a fight anymore than you do." A few of the wolves rolled their huge eyes. Sam shot them a withering glare and they straightened up.

I sighed. "I was born in 1901." I watched as my audience stiffened. Billy nodded his face curious. "I was relatively normal until my eleventh birthday. That was when I got these." I held up my hands and let my claws come out. "Pretty cool, huh?" I smirked.