Chapter-6

"Like Ben Franklin said, bub...only two things certain in life...an' this ain't taxes."

Bella's POV

I love the internet. Before that, I had to gather info by looking through thousands of books. Now, all I have to do is type in a few words into the search engine online, and I can find anything.

That night, I'd located a book on Quileute legends. That morning, the sun came out. That day, the Cullens didn't come to school.

I took a seat on one of the benches and looked everywhere for them, surveying the teenagers in t-shirts and shorts.

"He's not here," Jessica said. She sat down on top of the table. She tilted her head back, soaking up the sun. "Whenever the weather's nice, the Cullens disappear."

That was weird. Edward didn't strike me as the skipping type. "What, do they just ditch?"

"Nah, Doctor and Mrs. Cullen yank them out for like, hiking and camping and stuff. I tried that on my parents. They said 'not a chance in hell.'"

Angela ran up to us. "Guys! I'm going to the dance with Eric. I just asked him, I took control." She smiled and sat down on the bench next to me. To my surprise, she reached over and hugged me. I didn't really do the whole touchy-feely thing, but I guess I could make an exception. "Are you sure you have to go out of town?" she asked, sounding miserable.

"Yeah, I really miss Renee." Honestly, I might go to Jacksonville for real. I did miss Renee.

"You know, we should go dress shopping," Jessica said. "My wardrobe is seriously lacking."

The bell rang. "Port Angeles?" I asked. She nodded. "Do you mind if I come?" I could pick up the book of Quileute legends while I was there.

"Yeah," Angela said, as if it should have been obvious. "I need your opinion."

We headed into class.

Edward's POV

I lurked in the trees, a safe distance away from Bella's attentive eyes. Jessica confirmed my suspicion that she was looking for me.

Port Angeles.

I needed to follow her. I knew I couldn't come out in the daylight, but perhaps, if she were still in town, I could ask her to dinner after the sun went down.

Of course, she would notice when I didn't order anything. I didn't relish the thought of stuffing human food into my mouth just to put off her suspicions, but it would be worth an hour alone with her.

The house was empty when I returned home. I saw a sticky note on the fridge.

Football at the Rainier field-c'mon! Please?

I found a pen and wrote sorry underneath. The teams were even without me anyway.

I sat down at my piano. I began to play the notes that had formed in my head. I was still working on it when the others came home.

Edward is playing again! What a lovely tune.

Esme's squealing thoughts made me feel guilty. I hadn't touched my piano in such a long time; I'd forgotten how much Esme enjoyed it.