Chapter-10

Bella's POV

We approached the Cullen household and I tried not to be too miserable. Fighting with Charlie was tiring. I never wanted to hurt him like that again. I was on my motorcycle. My helmet still lay under the seat. I had no time to put it on anyway. Edward wanted to drive me to the house, but of course, Charlie would notice if I left my bike.

I skidded to a stop and jumped to the ground. Edward was beside me in a second. We headed inside. Both of us growled when we spotted Laurent.

Carlisle held up a hand. "Wait!" he implored. "He came to warn us…about James."

We stared at Laurent, mentally egging him on. He studied me for a second before Edward growled at him. Laurent held up his hands. "I mean no harm; I am merely fascinated. James told me of another like her."

"Grandpa Sabertooth," I said sarcastically. I sensed their confusion. "He has fangs," I explained. "He thought it would be good for a laugh."

Laurent nodded. "This isn't my fight, and I've grown tired of his games. But, he has unparalleled senses, absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my three hundred years. And the woman, Victoria, don't underestimate her," he warned. He looked at Carlisle. "This family up north, the Denali coven, I believe I will visit them as you suggested." He nodded at us before leaving.

"Well that's just perfectly awful," I commented.

"Come on," Edward said. We followed Carlisle into the garage where the others were preparing to leave.

"I've had to fight our kind before. They're not easy to kill," Jasper cautioned.

"But not impossible," Emmett said. I could sense his eagerness to fight.

"I don't relish the thought of killing another creature; even a sadistic one like James." That was Carlisle, of course.

"I don't have a problem with it. The guy has no respect for the dead." I clenched my fists, remembering Waylon's jacket again. In some cultures, stealing from the dead would mean a death sentence. For a mythical creature, the guy didn't seem too worried about vengeful spirits and the like.

Alice put her hand on my shoulder. She looked at Edward. "Jasper and I will run her south. We'll keep her safe, Edward."

Edward cringed. "Can you keep your thoughts to yourself?"

"Yes," she told him. She wrapped her arm around my waist and helped me into one of their cars.

Edward pulled out a few articles of clothing. "Rosalie, Esme," He through a jacket at Rosalie. "Could you put these on so the Tracker will follow Bella's scent?"

"Why?" Rosalie asked from her perch on the counter. She glared at me. "What's she to me?"

Carlisle approached her. His face was sombre. "Rosalie, Bella is with Edward. She's part of this family, and we protect our family."

"Oh, stop it, Doc. You're making me blush," I said, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't work.

Rosalie didn't say anything, but she did take the jacket. Emmett followed close behind her as she got into his jeep.