Chapter-27

Bella's POV

Once I got over being furious at Alice, I had time to be afraid.

Alice had taken Jasper and run, maybe to find more witnesses, as she said, or maybe because she knew something bad would happen.

Well, if something was going to happen, could I really blame her for trying to keep Jasper safe? I knew that if our situations were reversed, I would sacrifice everything to protect Edward.

Vick and Carlie began to laugh as Remy exploded yet another tree with his ability.

Well, almost anything, I amended.

"Tanya and her family will be here in a few minutes," Edward told me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "We should get inside."

I nodded. "Remy!" I called. "This is your last chance to disappear. I don't know how the other vampires are going to take to you."

"I can take care of myself, mon chéri." He batted his eyelashes at me and picked up the twins. Victor let out a snort and followed behind him as we carried them inside. Leah and Jacob stood in the living room, carefully watching the front door. Seth rushed in through the back and slid to his knees to give the twins a hug before he rushed to Jacob's side. He grinned mischievously.

"Cool it, Seth," Jacob ordered. "We're going to try to keep these guys calm. It won't help the babies if you look like you're gonna pounce on them the first chance you get."

Seth pouted but did as he was told. I took the babies into the kitchen with Victor, Remy and the pack behind me. We'd decided that Edward was the best person to deal with the Denalis. I remembered Tanya's behaviour at the wedding and almost wished we didn't have to ask them for their help. I consoled myself by reserving the right to cut off any body parts that touched Edward in a way I didn't like.

Vick and Carlie smiled up at me as I set them down on the table. "Now, remember what I said."

"Stay near you," Vick began.

"Or Daddy," Carlie continued.

"Or Grandpa."

"Or Remy."

"Or Leah."

"Or Jacob."

"That's right," I told them, feeling a little dizzy.

Remy laughed and pulled out a deck of cards. Victor rolled his eyes. Jacob and Leah snorted. Edward didn't say anything.

Vick cocked his head to the side. "I hear them," he told me.

I listened closely and soon I could hear the sound of a car engine. I gripped the twins tightly to me and took a deep breath. From what Edward had told me, the Denalis wouldn't react very well to the thought of an immortal child, let alone two. Our best bet was to give them a heads up, which was why they needed to stay hidden until Edward had explained.

"Vick, you're going to come with me while your sister stays here," I explained in a rush. "Once they know what you are, we'll bring Carlie out. I don't want to overwhelm them."