Chapter-26

Bella's POV

Sunday, December 12th, 2010

When I think about it, I probably should have realized that my life was going too well, and that I was about to be hit with a big dose of karma.

At the time, the only thing I was concerned about was getting the twins to at least tolerate animal blood. Jacob and Leah were a big help in that department, along with Seth, of whom Vick adored.

I'd gone hunting for animals more than a few times when I was younger. It was messy, and I always felt bad about it afterward. That's why hunting societies always had cleansing rituals. People get too civilized and they forget that they need stuff like that.

But that wasn't important to me at the time. The important thing was that my children were going deer hunting without a rifle and that I could smell a vampire nearby.

I left my shape-shifting friends to watch my children as I went to investigate. It didn't take long to locate the vampire that was watching us.

I wouldn't have known who she was if it weren't for her golden eyes. It could only be Irina, the third sister of the Denali Coven in Alaska.

She wasn't as pretty as Tanya, but her silvery blond hair was still lovelier than any normal, human shade. I wondered what she was doing there. She had made it pretty clear that she wanted nothing to do with the Cullens after Laurent was murdered by the La Push wolves, and they wouldn't help her avenge her lover's death.

I might have been more sympathetic…if I wasn't friends with some of those wolves…or if Laurent wasn't attacked because he was trying to kill me.

Of course, I was pretty sure that Carlisle would want me to play nice with her. It was hurting her sisters, having her absent and broken-hearted, so I started to wave…

And the bitch growled at me.

I was taken aback. I knew I wasn't the most pleasant person to be around. I even knew that Irina's hostility was somewhat logical…from a twisted, lovesick point of view. I knew she probably wouldn't get along with me, but I didn't think that I would be on the receiving end of such overt dislike. Obviously, she was unhappy about Jacob and Leah.

Before I could retaliate, she took off into the forest. I held back, wondering if it would be a good idea to chase her. Finally, I decided to just get back to hunting.

I found Carlie and Jacob fighting over who had the largest kill. Leah and Vick were to the side, Vick with a strange expression on his face. The twins could talk, but Carlie preferred to use her own methods via telepathy, and Vick was just the strong silent type.

"What's wrong, honey?" I asked, leaning over Vick.

He shrugged and crossed his arms.

I looked at Leah. "Did he eat?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"He got distracted; said he heard something. I think he's just stalling because he doesn't like deer," she said while playfully rubbing his head.

"I prefer mountain lions," he said.

"Me too!" Carlie called, joining us with Jacob behind her. "Let's go get some!"