Chapter 4 - Fight to Go Further

Disclaimer: Naruto and every character of the Naruto universe belongs to Kishimoto Masashi and companies I don't know.

I want to thank the hard work of ScarsOfTime ( u/947576/), without him, I am lost.

Original Upload date: 19/11/2012

Last update: 21/01/2013

Chance for a Prophecy

Chapter 4. – Fight to Go Further

Toroku was in ecstasy. He grinned like an idiot while sitting on the bed, not bothering to pay attention to the still speaking Minato. He was getting out of here, and that was the only thing that mattered now. He hated this isolation. He wanted to go outside, he wanted to just roam the streets, and he wanted to start building his new life.

"Toroku, are you even listening to me?"

"Yes, sure."

"Then what was the last thing I said?"

"Something about extra conditions and supervision." Toroku had scratched the back of his head in embarrassment and Minato let out a sigh in his irritation. 'I can't believe he's doing this...'

"I told you, that besides the approval, there are conditions, and they are important, so I would really appreciate your attention."

"Sorry. I'm listening now." Toroku gave him an apologetic look.

"To become a shinobi, we first have to survey your skills in order to seat you in one of our ranks. We already saw some of your skills, but those don't even scratched the surface, I think. You will participate in a sparring match tomorrow. Do that, and in time you will be assigned to one of the teams."

"Will I fight with you?" Minato didn't answer, only smiled at him.

"You know, actually I don't think I really thought this through. I mean, the knowledge is inside me I know, but I don't know how to push it to the surface. I'll be beaten into the ground."

"This is why you'll do it tomorrow."

"Why? What about today?"

"We will be going to the training grounds, to test your basic knowledge a little and to gain some experience on how you can tap that knowledge during action. I want a proper assessment, and I'm afraid if you go there in this state tomorrow, you will be beaten into the ground for sure."

"Besides, Inoichi will also be making a check-up on the state of your memories today, and will be doing so every weekend until the Hokage deems necessary." Toroku's expression saddened and he looked down to start playing with a wrinkle in the sheet.

"He doesn't trust me, does he?"

"I think this is understandable. You appeared from nowhere under more than suspicious circumstances."

"And you?" Toroku looked up to face with the familiar blue eyes of Minato. "Do you trust me?"

"What I think isn't important..." Minato looked back at the blond without any expression on his face. However, Toroku was an awful actor. His face mirrored his emotions without hesitation. Disappointment and a small amount of betrayal flashed through his face, but in the background he also saw that he understood his own situation more than he let on.

"I see..."

"Come on. Inoichi is waiting."

Five minutes later they entered the familiar interrogation room with the pale white walls and find Inoichi leaning against the wall playing with the ring on his finger.