Chapter 6 - Results of Hard Work

Disclaimer: Naruto and every character of the Naruto universe belongs to Kishimoto Masashi and companies I don't know.

I want to thank the hard work of ScarsOfTime ( u/947576/), without him, I am lost.

Original Upload date: 05/12/2012

Last update: none

Chance for a Prophecy

Chapter 6. – Results of Hard Work

They arrived in Konoha in record time, to Minato's full pleasure, and the travel was eventless. Even Toroku had been cutting down on his taunting of Kakashi after their small talk. Well, not actually completely, but he was obviously restraining himself. Minato was very pleased with their performance. They dismissed the team at the gates of Konoha and he headed toward the Hokage tower to make his report to Sarutobi.

Toroku tensed as he instantly felt the familiar chakra signal of his shadow when turning toward his apartment, hopping from rooftop to rooftop to shorten his way, in which a satisfying shower and the comfort of his bed awaited him. However, the temptation was just too great. He grinned and jumped toward a nook, landing gracefully in front of a surprised and attack-ready female ANBU.

"Yo! You miss me, ANBU-san?" He gained an irritated "Tch" from the young woman with a bird mask and she instantly hopped out of his sight, leaving the still grinning Toroku "alone," who afterward continued his way after a quick shrug for his deserved shower and sleep.

The next day passed without event after their arrival, and Toroku spent most of the day with Minato and Kushina, who forced the visit on him. He knew what game Kushina played. She wanted to help build their relationship and he was thankful for that, because he was clueless on how exactly to start it. Her cheery presence always helped them out if the familiar, awkward silence enveloped them during their conversations. Minato talked about his family, about his mother, and about their seemly shared father, and he found out that Minato's parents died during his Academy years when he was still very young. He even managed to see some photos of his parents.

Another awkward silence fell onto them and Minato left the situation by excusing himself to the kitchen to get some drinks. The conversation-savior was again the redhead as she arrived in the living room like a hurricane, with dozens of scrolls in her hands and some tucked under her arms.

"Hey Minato, I've got everything that we need from the library to continue with our pet project."

"Great!"

He moved next to her to help with the scrolls and moved them into their bedroom to place them tidily in one of the empty x-shaped shelves on the wall. Minato hopped down onto the chair to get quite a large scroll and laid it open on the desk while he selected another from the new pile. He began to read, frowning heavily.

"Sorry I stole your company. He'll likely be lost in his work for hours," Kushina said as she came toward Toroku with an apologetic look.

"It's okay, Kushina-san."

"Don't call me that. It's just Kushina. That makes me feel old."

"Then the same goes for you, also."

Toroku gave her a foxy grin after he nodded, and he was surprised when she mimicked him, though in a more tempered way. It wasn't as much animalistic as his, but still held a hint of it. He really enjoyed Kushina's company. His heart always felt much lighter when he was near the redhead. He found out that they shared a common interest. Namely pranking and irritating the ANBU.