Untitled Part 19

Disclaimer: Naruto and every character of the Naruto universe belongs to Kishimoto Masashi and companies I don't know.

I would like to ask a burst of applause for my fantastic beta readers: ImaginationJunkie1412 and Skyisthelimit.

Original upload date: 2013.07.30.

Last update:

Chance for a Prophecy

Chapter 18. – Namikaze Toroku

"Remember your name. Do not lose hope -what you seek will be found."

― Neil Gaiman

Naruto let out a long and weary sigh. His eyes were locked onto the ink black sky, spotted with an uncountable amount of stars, from behind the window of his room. His thoughts wandered around the events of the day. So many things had happened, and they had only increased the weight of the burden on his shoulders. The Kage would soon meet. Orochimaru...Danzo...'I forgot about Danzo.' Kurama didn't answer, but he still felt the fox's silent nod in agreement. 'ROOT...Sai...we must stop him somehow.'

"He is an unknown factor. Aside from his responsibility for Uchiha massacre and the existence of ROOT we know nothing about his activity. We don't know how his actions were influencing the future. The old Warhawk always stayed in and acted from the shadows without real confrontation. If we interfere with him now, we won't know the consequences."

Naruto narrowed his eyes. 'What Minato had told us before, about someone trying to debilitate him from the inside...That someone is Danzo. And I've got a feeling that he was behind that mess back at the Kusa borders with Kitsuchi.'

"Oh it seems you have finally started to use your brain. It's clear now that he was behind that ambush." Naruto only rolled his eyes, and parted his imaginary lips to retort but the opportunity slipped from his fingers. "He sees you as a possible treat. You can hate him for what he has done, but he has always acted for the sake of Konoha. If it wasn't for him, the Sandaime wouldn't have made that step with the Uchiha and the coup would have been successful. But I doubt he will confront you in public after the failure in Kusa. Maybe he will send an assassin for your head."

A snort bubbled up from the back of Naruto's throat. 'He is still doing things that are unforgivable. And how can you be so casual about my and your possible death?'

"Just watch your back extra cautiously."

'Great. So now I should walk around with an eye on my back even in Konoha.'

"We are safe until the end of the exams. The old Warhawk isn't a fool. Assassinating you now would only raise suspicion on the other nations and show that the Leaf is weak. Konoha is not ready for another war. Danzo knows this. He will wait until the exams are over, he won't risk a war over your head. We should worry more about the Snake. I don't like how he was eying us back then."

A cold shiver ran through Naruto's spine, despite the warm cover wrapped around him. 'Yeah...' He waited for more from the fox, but he got no answer.