Chapter 17 - Walking on Thin Ice

Disclaimer: Naruto and every character of the Naruto universe belongs to Kishimoto Masashi and companies, I don't know.

I would like to ask a burst of applause for my fantastic beta readers: ImaginationJunkie1412 and Skyisthelimit.

Original upload date: 8th of July 2013

Last update:-

Chance for a Prophecy

Chapter 17. – Walking on Thin Ice

"Half of writing history is hiding the truth"

― Joss Whedon

"You eat like every meal will be your last one ..." Naruto only shrugged in response and took another bite. Kushina dropped another piece of meat onto his plate, and Naruto tucked in, unaware of the blue eyes fixed on his frame as he demolished the meat in three bites. The blond teen let out a satisfied sigh and patted his rounding stomach, leaning back with closed eyes.

"Much better now," mumbled the young blond.

"Hey Toroku." Naruto sneaked a peek from the corner of one opened eye, showing that he was listening.

"I met with Inoichi and he told me something..." Naruto didn't move from his relaxed seat, nor did he react visibly, however a small hint of worry started to rise inside his chest. He had prepared in advance for this.

"What did you do with that lily?"

The teen only shrugged and stayed silent for a long minute before he gathered himself to answer. "I brought it to the memorial stone."

The Hokage tilted his head a little. His eyes mirrored only curiosity and fortunately not suspicion. But it was Kushina who asked the questionthat had instantly popped up in the hokage's head.

"Why?" Kushina's voice was full with curiosity and confusion as it echoed in the empty dining room of the Hokage mansion.

The teen only shrugged, his face oddly unreadable. When he had visited the memorial stone, he had mourned for his lost friends. But right now, they were all they would stay that way,even if he had to go through hell for them. There was no more need for mourning. They were breathing, living or growing inside their mother's tummy. He would never forget them. He would never forget everything they had done for him. He shifted nervously on the floor, then suddenly hopped onto his feet, grabbed a paintbrush, and threw it at his father with a cheeky smile in an attempt to change the subject.

"Lunch break is over. And don't forget, I want my room in orange."

"It wasn't a fair win. You still can't do it without your clones," Minato complained.

Naruto shrugged and moved to the side to lean against the kitchen counter. "I learnt it, didn't I? And it works. So I won." Minato's frustrated snort echoed inside the empty dining room, and he straightened himself from the floor and grabbed the bucket of the vibrant orange paint with angry, narrowed eyes.

"Kushina...remind me in the future to never, ever make a bet with Toroku again." Laughter filled the room in the next second, and the Hokage couldn't help himself. After a short second of silent sulking he joined in, his annoyance instantly melting away when Naruto's warm laugh surpassed everyone's voice. However Minato's blue eyes traveled toward his brother from time to time.

A worried look appeared on the face of the Hokage of Konohagakure no Sato as he leaned over a scroll and tapped his chin continuously with the soft brush. He hummed, lost in thought, then let out a sigh. That was the moment when another blond man appeared in the open window, sticking his golden head inside the Hokage tower. His mouth was open to speak, but when he caught sight of the worried look on his father's face, he simply closed it and hopped down in front of his leader, eyeing him for a long silent moment with tilted head.