30 Really Really

Serenity

Kayla and Landon finally have their baby and they were kind enough to bring their little miracle across the hospital so I can see her. They named her Mariah Serenity Taylor because they loved Mariah Carey and to a lesser extent me too. But I was honored to have such a beautiful little baby named after me, they didn't have to do that. As soon as I got to hold her I didn't want to let her go but I had to so they could get started on being parents.

Meanwhile I had a big day ahead of me. They wanted to take away all the machines and tubes and everything to see how my body will handle being on its own for a while. So I was released from everything but the IV for that gave me my medicine that makes it so my heart keeps working and pain medication so I don't pass out from hurting so much. And if everything goes well I can be out of here in a few days. God I hope I can get out of here in a few days. I need sun and I need it bad.

But for now I was stuck in here. I finally get Kris to go out and get back into baseball. I assure him that I'm fine now and I don't have any more secret illnesses he needed to be worried about. I know he's been with me this whole time and he doesn't want to leave. But I don't want him sitting here watching me do breathing treatments and doing tests on my heart all day. So I finally get him to go the field and at least be with his team even if he doesn't play. I've seen all the stuff the Cubs got me and their wives have all sent me some nice messages and get well soon cards. I've got enough books to get me through recovery with a full heart and a happy soul.

"Kris actually left" my mom gasps and I laugh at her tone.

"I made him leave. Told him that if he didn't we were over" I smile.

She just shakes her head as she comes over to the side of my bed. She sits right next to me as she looks down at me. "You know, he wouldn't leave your side the whole time you were here. I think I saw him sleep for a few hours at a time, he asked the doctor what was happening every time they were in here to check on you. He held your hand for as long as he could and he would talk to you. It was sweet... I just don't know what would happen to that man if you didn't pull through" she says softly.

"He would have rebounded. He's a handsome man with pretty eyes and a nice smile. He is the kindest person you will ever meet and has the most incredible outlook on life. He would have been just fine" I defend.

"I can most assure you he wouldn't" she argues. "He loves you more than I've ever seen somebody love something before. I mean that man put his dreams to play in the MLB to the side just to be here with you. He made sure that I was okay and that this whole family was taken care of before he ever thought about himself. He loves you a lot and I know down in my heart he would have lost it if he lost you" she assures me.

I smile to myself as I fiddle with my fingers in my lap. My cheeks start to burn as I think about what my mom was saying. "I don't know, I just don't want to let him down. I don't want him to spend all this time waiting for me to get better and when I finally wake up... I'm not what he was hoping I would be. I mean I just got a new heart, things aren't going to be like they were before" I sigh.

"They're not. But they were never going to remain the same anyway. Things are going to change and he knows that, he just wants to go through the change with you" she insists.

"And what if he doesn't want to anymore" I wonder.

"And what if he does" she counters. "Come on, you're supposed to be my smart child" she accuses making me laugh.

"I know I know. I just... I saw how fast everything can fall apart. I've felt the pain of losing everything I ever loved. And yes I got a new heart and yes I got new lungs but now there's a whole another set of obstacles I have to overcome. I don't know if I can do this and be a baseball girlfriend" I defend.

"Then don't" she says and my eyes go big. "Be with Kris when he is at his lowest and when he's at his highest. Be his best friend who talks about books and life. Don't be a baseball girlfriend, you're a lot of things but that's not one of them. Be his wildflower" she says as she points to my heart. I see the necklace he got me laying over my chest and I smile.

"I am" I assure her. "And I always will be."

Eventually it gets late so my mom goes home as we continue to make sure this heart is a match and that I can keep this one. There's a small chance that my body rejects the heart or it won't work in my body, but so far things have been looking up. While I'll have to live with different kinds of symptoms my whole life I can still get back to living the way I was, where I was cautious but I was free.

I close my eyes for a little before the door opens again. I expect to see my doctor but Kris walks in with a bouquet of beautiful flowers. He sets them down right next to the last bouquet he got me yesterday before walking over to me and pulling me into a kiss.

"You look great, how do you feel" he wonders.

"I'm feeling better now that you're here" I smirk.

He sits down next to me and grabs my hand. He runs his thumb against the back of my hand and I smile at the feeling of his skin against mine. "Can I ask you something" I wonder.

"Of course you can" he promises.

"Things are changing" I start, "What do you want to happen next?"

"Do you want my honest opinion" he asks and I freeze. I swallow hard as my nod my head preparing for whatever he was about to say. "I want to buy a house and I want you to move in with me. You don't have to hide anything from me and I learned that I will absolutely lose my mind if I don't have you by my side every chance I get. So I want to get a house where Beatrice can run free and we can get more dogs. Then I want to work on the foundation and start changing peoples lives. I want people to feel as free as you do when you get stuck in a good book. Eventually a World Series and MVP would be nice. But as for what I want to happen next... that's it" he explains.

"Really" I squeal casing him to laugh.

"Really really" he promises. "But I don't want to do any of it without you" he claims.

"Still? After all of this? After I lied" I ask.

"You lied to protect me. You did what was hard because it was what was right. And in the end, even though I hated it, you did what was best for me. Because if I knew this was coming I don't know what I would have done. Something stupid I'm sure. But I'm not worried about what had happened. I have a whole life to look forward to and you're in every inch of it.

That is if that's what you want..." he trails off.

"Nothing would make me happier" I smile.