44 Bar Conversations

Kris

After what has assuredly been a crazy six months of my life, the baseball part was officially over with the awards all announced and the Kansas City Royals winning it all. And now the off-season was under way where people were talking about signing UFA's and people being traded and all that stuff. But I don't need to be in the league for a long time to know better than to sit there and think about what's going to happen by next season. I know I'll be with the Cubs next year but I know it won't be the same team from this year, and that's okay. I know that Theo is going to have the best pieces available to put together a good team that will do what no Cubs team has done in decades. As long as I keep my head on straight and focus on my baseball abilities then I will be okay.

"Does this vest make my chest look big" I ask as I stare at myself in the mirror.

It was halloween and I got invited to a costume party by one of my friends I made here in the city. Originally I wasn't going to go but I can't hide in the house all offseason. Although our dogs would love that, I should at least try to keep some of my friendships I've made here. And the only way I could get Ren to come with me was if I agreed to come as Rapunzel and Eugene from Tangled. So I get a good look of my outfit in the mirror and I have to admit... I looked good.

"Sweetie you look amazing" she assures me.

"Your mom is so good at making outfits! How did she learn how to make them so realistic" I wonder.

"Well, when I was little I couldn't do a lot. I would read about princess and super heros and Greek gods and I always wondered what it would be like to actually be them. So my mom learned how to sew and make outfits so I could dress up as whatever I wanted since I couldn't go out and be a fire fighter or a wizard and stuff like that" she explains.

"Don't they sell costumes" I wonder.

"Where have you ever seen a Jane Eyere costume" she asks me and I laugh.

"I forgot you weren't like other kids for a moment. And now that I remember... I'm happy all over again" I insist.

"Well I think you look amazing. Your chest looks nice and buff and you are the Eugene to my Rapunzel" she smiles. "Can we go now?"

"After we take pictures" I insist.

"Ughhh fine" she pouts.

She hated taking pictures but I really don't get why. She is beautiful. Maybe not in the way that everyone else believes but in every way I can think of, she is beautiful.

After fighting with her to get some good pictures to show her mom how great the outfits looked we were off. We get to a bar with a few of my friends from around here and reintroduce everyone. Every single person in this bar was dressed up and it's kind of funny. We were all of age and living on our own and we still decided to dress up and come here in costumes on Halloween. But I guess no one can tell us we can't so that's why we did.

"You want a beer" my friend Steve asks me as he orders everyone drinks. But I just shake my head.

"No thanks man" I insist.

He just looks at me weird as he signals for the bar tender to keep his tab open. "You want a shot then" he wonders.

"Naw. I don't drink" I shrug.

His eyes go big as he lets out a over dramatic gasp. "What do you mean you don't drink" he questions.

"Uhhh," I stutter, "it means I don't consume alcoholic beverages" I try. Pretty self explanatory if you ask me

"You're a professional athlete, you need a muse" he argues.

"I have one and it's defiantly not this" I assure him.

"Come on. Everyone drinks" he insists.

"I didn't drink in college and I'm not going to start now" I defend.

"That's unnatural" he argues.

"I don't drink either" Serenity says.

We both turn to her as she sits there with the crown on her head. She looked adorable in her purple dress but she was so stinking small. I was a little worried about her but she says it's a side effect of her medicine. But I can see her ribs when she's sitting and it made me nervous. I know that medicine keeps her alive but that stuff is brutal. The side effects are so harsh, I just hope they don't over take what good it's doing for her.

"You aren't allowed to drink" I remind her and I smirk.

"I'm not supposed to. I could as long as I'm responsible. But I've never even been that close to taking a drink before. My parents don't drink so it was never around the house. I do enjoy beer bread though" she smirks.

"That doesn't count" Steve argues.

"I know. Just proves my point more that not everyone drinks" she argues back.

"I guess you two really are meant for each other. And if not for how similar you are it's because you guys really look like those two at the end of Tangled. It's kind of scary" Steve claims and I laugh.

"I think we've watched that movie enough times we could reenact it" I shake my head.

"I would love that" Serenity cheers and I smile.

"I'm sure you would" I accuse.

After we order a lemonade and some food we decided to dance. We were in a bar after all, if we weren't going to drink we should at least dance. So I grab Ren and pull her out to the dance floor. She hand the biggest smile on her face as she looks up at me.

"You dance" I ask her.

"Nope" she smiles.

"It looks like you do" I accuse.

"I listen to music a lot. I guess it just speaks to me, even if it feels like a foreign language" she giggles.

"I think you're just fine" I promise.