Chapter 1

Otome Game ―― From young girls to respectable ladies, it's a game genre that magically captures the hearts of a wide range of women.

Unlike in reality, the games are full of good looking men of radiant countenances for you to conquer one by one. Branching pathways, reverse harem, ravaging, all the guys fighting over you, and even some stranger scenarios are all possible play styles you can expect to encounter. If you were to do such a thing in real life, it would be considered having a number of petty affairs.

Their popularity has seen a great number of such games published, and on their days off, women crowd the streets of Ikebukuro and it's quite a sight to behold.

"I'm telling you Makoto, it's all about the Otome games, BL, and voice actors."

"Sooo, you really like games, don't you Subaru?"

"Yep yep, that's right. ――...wait, that's not what I meant!"

After Subaru finished her piece on the subject, I thought I made an agreeable response, but apparently that wasn't the response she was looking for.

I was sitting on a floor pillow with Subaru standing menacingly over me. What was she thinking standing over me in that miniskirt? I could see her underwear. A girl should be more conscientious of things like that.

"Then what did you mean?"

"...You really have zero interest in Otome games don't you Mako..."

"It's not that I don't have an interest, I like cool looking guys as much as the next girl. And there are some voice actors I like too."

Subaru was a beautiful girl with straight black hair and fair skin, and yet she was a total Otome game addict. Lately, I heard she'd been working with a group to produce their own Otome game to sell. Not only that, they'd made a good number of sales already.

On the other hand, I was an unpopular girl with a plain face and wore either glasses or contacts. I never changed the style of my clothes or hair, and I wasn't really into games or manga. Being friends with Subaru, I'd absorbed knowledge of such things over the years, but never had any desire to play Otome or BL games myself. I didn't hate them, I just never wanted to play them. If I was gonna play anything, it'd be an RPG.

Everything I knew about Otome and BL games came from Subaru.

"Well, I guess it's fine. Hey Mako, wanna go to the bookstore after this?"

"Bookstore?"

"I need to pick up my game at a bookstore in the next district over. Let's go, Mako!"

The first thought that crossed my mind was that I really just wanted to have a lazy Sunday, but Subaru's heavy breathing left no room for refusal, and I reluctantly went along with her.

It was about a 10 minute walk from my place to the train station. In that time, Subaru told me all about the game she helped create, "Hearthrob Love Revolution". It was a really straightforward title. I could guess it was a game about a revolution of falling in love that got your heart pounding. I didn't really understand the 'Love Revolution' part, what exactly is that? I knew of the Revolution move in the card game Rich Man, Poor Man, but nothing other than that.

Subaru summarized the long plot for me.

The protagonist, in this case the player, was called Mitsuki Sakurai or whatever else the player wants to name her, and she's a second year in high school. The player has the power to increase their stats over time. Those specs determined other characters' responses to the player and whether they would go with you or not.