The Sea and the Distress and the Pairing [2]

"Ah, apologies. It's at full capacity. The next one will arrive in 30 minutes so please wait for a bit."

 Having gotten completely into the Blue Cave, we ended up staying there for about 2 hours.
 Sure enough, we started feeling cold by 4pm and thus decided to head back. However, the number of boats connecting Blue Cave to the beach had also decreased. Unfortunately, this also overlapped with the rush hour and not all 6 of us could take the ride.
 The results of our discussion was to let Mitsuki, Hasumi, Prince and Soutarou board while Kaname and I stay behind. Till the very end of the very end, Soutarou insisted on staying back too but I somehow managed to get him to board first by pacifying that I'll be right behind him. I'm extremely happy that the pairings of Mitsuki and Prince, and Hasumi and Soutarou were successfully formed.
 Only several people remain in the Blue Cave.
 Kaname and I stick our feet in the sea, lean against the wall and sit down.

"Did you have fun today, Mako-chan?"

"Yeah. I had quite a bit of fun."

 Although I'm completely worn out due to overexcitement, I had just as much fun.
 Be it Soutarou being afraid to go deep into the cave, Mitsuki's fear of bugs, Hasumi's exasperation towards these or Kaname saying things that tickle everyone's funny bones. All of these. I had tons of fun.
 I had some friends too when I was a girl but I wonder if we could have celebrated youth this much. It feels like my current high school life is more happening.

"That's great. I had tons of fun too."

 Kaname brushes his bangs upwards and smiles broadly.
 However, that smile quickly fades. Making a troubled face as though he's putting up with something embarrassing, he looks at me.

"What's wrong, Kaname?"

"Y'know, Mako-chan, you..."

 Having a hard time saying it, he averts his glance once and looks back at me. At the 2nd time, his gaze's strong, as though he's made a decision.

"Hm?"

"What do you think of Souta and Prince, Mako-chan?"

 I unconsciously catch my breath. With an expression that can be considered sad, Kaname looks straight at me.

 I wish I was much, much more obtuse, such that I won't understand what Kaname means by how I think of Soutarou and Prince.
 Nonetheless, while I'm obtuse, I understood what his words were indirectly asking. I'll be looked at weirdly if I pretend I don't understand.

"I like them. Of course, I like you too, Kaname. As a friend."

"... As expected."

 Kaname's extremely sharp so he doesn't probe me any further. Even I properly understood that this wasn't what he meant when he tossed that question out.
 Still, I wasn't prepared enough to answer that.
 Before being prepared, perhaps I don't even have the answer in the first place.

 What do I think of Soutarou and Prince?
 Certainly, I like Soutarou. I like Soutarou very much. The kind and gentle Soutarou who's like a large dog. The 1st person who talked to me when I came here was also Soutarou.
 Similarly, although Prince is expressionless and taciturn, his heart's warm. He's really reliable in times of need and is a good guy who cares for his friends. That's why I like Prince too.
 Both their personalities are unique, they have cool faces and are good at sports and studies.
 If I were still female, if I were still a proper female...

 I might have liked Soutarou and Prince in that way and accepted them.

 However, I'm currently not female, but male. I'm the older brother of the heroine, Mitsuki. I'm not a human from this world and I don't know when I'll return to reality. I don't want to give up on the other world yet.
 Therefore, no matter how much I come to like them, I can never give them an answer. I must never give them an answer.