The Kiss and the Dog and the Wolf [1]

"Ichigo-chan... I'm troubled."

"I see."

"Ichigo-chan, I don't understand a man's heart. Why did Soutarou ignore me?"

 In the end, I brought Ichigo-chan to my house. Or rather, I should say that he sent me, who was so taken aback by Soutarou ignoring me that my head turned blank and dazed, home.
 Although I'm by nature the type who isn't too concerned with human relationships, it's somehow shocking to be treated coldly by Soutarou. It's because I thought it's natural for him to always go "Mako, Mako" by my side. But that way of thinking belongs to someone with quite a bad personality, doesn't it.
 The relationship between Soutarou and I may have been built upon Soutarou's kindness. No matter what selfish things I say, no matter what rash things I do, Soutarou's the one who accepts them all.

 Friends are probably beings who'll fight once or twice. I may not need to take it so seriously.
 However, I've never had the experience of genuinely fighting with friends before. That's why I don't know how to reconcile. Is it okay if I say I'm sorry? I'm sorry ――despite being such simple words, I don't know when to say them and what expression to make when I say them.

"Wasn't he against you being with me, Sakurai? It's probably just jealousy."

"Jealousy..."

 I stare at the pot with meat and potato stew in it.
 This meat and potato stew was made by Mitsuki. The homemade cooking of Mitsuki with high specs in housework is superb. As Mitsuki is a cut above the rest only in cooking and appeal, she really can't do sports and studies.
 While the lil' fool, Mitsuki, with pointlessly high femininity is super adorable in my eyes, this Mitsuki is still unable to bring Prince down.

Meat and potato stew, nameko miso soup, freshly-cooked rice and chicken wings bought from the nearby delicatessen. For dessert, it's pudding, also made by Mitsuki.
 The dishes are arranged on the dining table that can seat four people.

"He likes you, right. You sure are dense."

 I'm estranged from romance. I'm aware of that. After all, I'm an unpopular woman who has nil romantic experiences and has also never gotten confessed to before.
 Still, Soutarou likes me? Soutarou is the heroine, Mitsuki's, capturable character y'know. Moreover, I'm male now. It shouldn't be possible for Soutarou to like me romantically.

"How do I reconcile, then?"

"Apologising 's likely enough. Say 'Sorry, I'm dating Subaru-san'. Den say sumthin' like 'Let's get along as friends from now on'.

 Oh, right. Ichigo-chan thinks that Subaru and I are dating.
 I open my mouth and take this opportunity to tell him the truth.

"Subaru isn't my girlfriend. It's just that Subaru has someone else she likes. That's why."

"Aa, well, I thought t'was the case. You and Subaru-san didn't feel like ya were dating after all. But I also thought that I didn't stand a chance. That's why I'm giving up already... bon appetit."

 After properly putting his hands together and lowering his head, Ichigo-chan reaches for the meat and potato stew.
 Despite knowing that he doesn't stand a chance with Subaru, Ichigo-chan leisurely chews the potato without changing his expression. Observing that, I also sip the nameko miso soup. Among the dishes on the table, only this nameko miso soup was made by me. The taste may be slightly too bland.

"I see. ... I'm sorry for deceiving you."

"Not really. Subaru-san's kind so she wasn't able to reject me directly. More importantly, this miso soup sure 's tasty. You made it, didn't you. Dat's amazing."