Chapter 20

It's been a few weeks, it's near the end of February now. Novalee is sitting on the couch in the first floor living room that's off the foyer with Emma, who's talking on the landline with her mother. She's going to ride the bus from Novalee's place the next morning to school.

Novalee gets a text from Sam, saying to go to Billy's and check on Jacob. He's phased finally.

"Emma, wanna go to la push for a little bit?" Novalee asks. "I need to check in someone."

"I have to go, mom," Emma says into the phone. "I'm going somewhere with Nova."

Emma pauses and she hangs up before following Novalee into the garage. They get into Novalee's car, and Nova drives to Billy's. The girls walk up the ramp and Emma knocks on the door. Billy opens the door.

"Novalee!" Billy exclaims. "Emma Call, you've grown a lot." Billy gets out of the way, letting the two in.

"I'm here to check on Jacob," Novalee says. "Sam texted, said he finally phased?"

"He's in his room," Billy says. "He just got his hair cut and tattoo."

Nova nods and she walks into the room. Jacob is learning against the head of his bed, shirtless and in grey sweat pants.

"Who are you?" He asks as his brown eyes study her.

"Novalee Morningstar," she replies. "I'm here to check on you. Are you okay? I heard about your... Transformation."

"Are you a shifter, too?" Jacob asks, sitting up a little straighter.

"No, I'm not, but I'm with one," Novalee replies. "Smell..."

Jacob cringes as he does, "You're a vampire?"

"For now," Novalee says. "But I'm an imprint." She notices his confused look. "Sam Can explain more." Her phone pings, Nova checks it. "He wants to see you. Do want me to drive you over there, or do you want him to come here?"

"Drive me over there," Jacob replies as he gets our of his bed, he grabs a black tank top from his closet. "Thanks a lot, Novalee." He slips into some sneakers, he gets I to the Dodge Charger with Emma and Novalee, Emma's in the backseat now.
~~~

Novalee watches as Emma plays with Jared in the backyard as Sam helps Jacob understand his species a little more. Emma likes hanging out with the pack.

"I can't wait until you're human," Embry mumbles as he walks out and wraps his arms around his vampire girlfriend from behind. "We're going to have babies, a houseful." He kisses Novalee's neck after moving her hair. "You'd be an amazing mom, cooking for our child every day. They'll phase when they're old enough, be in a pack with the other's kids."

Novalee giggles as she watches Emma with Jared. "I can't wait to have a kid with you."

Embry smiles into her hair. Emma spots them and smiles at her brother's own smile. The ten year old doesn't see it often, Embry smiling. But since he imprinted on a vampire amd got with her, he's only smiled. He only frown while Novalee was in Italy learning about the cure for immortality.

Novalee and Emma soon go back to Forks. They find Cheryl sitting on the steps at the front door, with a man in a suit and a woman, with paperwork. Nova unlocks the door and invites everyone inside.

"Can I get you guys something to drink?" Novalee asks as she leads everyone upstairs.

"Water, please," the woman in the pantsuit replies.

"Nothing for me," the man and Cheryl say.

Novalee gets the lady a glass of cold water and leads them to the dining table. Emma is sitting between Nova and Cheryl.

"Novalee, I was wondering if you'd like to adopt Emma, if it's okay with her," Cheryl says.

"Can you!?" Emma exclaims.

"I'd love that," Nova replies. "But why?"

"I was just diagnosed with stage three leukemia, it's fast moving," Cheryl replies and Emma frowns. "And I won't be able to raise her, so I want you to adopt her. You and my Embry Can raise Emma. She can live here in Forks with you, go to school here, since she's enrolled now. So, she goes there tomorrow, so the buss doesn't have to meet another on high 101."

"Does Embry know?" Novalee asks as the notary and the child service worker help Nova fill out the paper work.

"I am going to tell him when I'm finished here," Cheryl replies. "I told you first, and asked you to adopt Emma."

Novalee sighs each part she needs to. "How long will this take, for this to be final?"

"A week, tops," the social worker replies. "Ms Call, we have to leave for the courts."

Cheryl nods and sees themout, before she hugs Novalee and Emma. Novalee goes to her laptop in the kitchen and emails Alice, telling her that she's a mom now. Novalee also says she's giving Emma Emmett's old room, and she's going to redecorate it. Emmett will have go move into Rosalie's room if they ever return.

Novalee cooks spaghetti for Emma to eat and goes to Emmett's old room. She uses her vampire speed to redecorate the room for Emma. When Nova goes back downstairs, her laptop pings. She checks it and Alice was happy for her, so are the others. They're ready to meet Emma.

Novalee smiles and she washes up the dishes. She hears Emma shriek and giggle happily when she finds her room before laying down. Nova hoes to the first floor and sits by the fireplace with a good book.